Finished Sulcata Enclosure!!

LARRY5469

Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
Oh man. . . that's really nice. Is that made out of the skirt they put around the bottom of a mobile home? I like it.
It appears to be the roofing material they use on carports. This was taken while our new Tropical Parrot flight was being built.. the carport is the basic part.

Attachments

• P1015345.JPG
    P1015345.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 22

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Thank you. Yes, I have a rubber mat to attach to the house for a swinging "door". That way it keeps in warmth but allows the sully to go in and out at his leisure. We are actually putting that on tomorrow. Do they like the mulch in the house better than a rock bottom? Thanks for that idea.

Definitely mulch. Thats how we have our set up, a nice bag of cypress mulch. Absorbs any body deposits, can be sprayed and kept moist, provides a nice place to dig in.

Rocks, like No. 2 stone, too scratchy (at least thats what i think). Ive never had any trouble with any other critters wanting to go inside (ants, spiders, snakes). Not sure how your area is.

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
We finished the outdoor sulcata enclosure. Thank you for all your information and answering my questions. It is 32 feet by 40 feet. There is a planter bottom for water. I will probably add a larger one for soaking. I will be adding a rubber flap door to the house and heater for winter. The fence posts are sunk in the ground 2 feet in our hard black dirt. I planted edible plants and we raise hay already. Now I just have to wait for my adoption to go through. I expect to get a juvenile or adult.

Waiting impatiently!
View attachment 272362 View attachment 272363 View attachment 272362 View attachment 272363 View attachment 272364 View attachment 272365 View attachment 272366

That's one lucky tortoise!

lizznet15

el paso, Tx
We finished the outdoor sulcata enclosure. Thank you for all your information and answering my questions. It is 32 feet by 40 feet. There is a planter bottom for water. I will probably add a larger one for soaking. I will be adding a rubber flap door to the house and heater for winter. The fence posts are sunk in the ground 2 feet in our hard black dirt. I planted edible plants and we raise hay already. Now I just have to wait for my adoption to go through. I expect to get a juvenile or adult.

Waiting impatiently!
View attachment 272362 View attachment 272363 View attachment 272362 View attachment 272363 View attachment 272364 View attachment 272365 View attachment 272366
That is so awesome, your new adoptive family will be so happy!

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Definitely mulch. Thats how we have our set up, a nice bag of cypress mulch. Absorbs any body deposits, can be sprayed and kept moist, provides a nice place to dig in.

Rocks, like No. 2 stone, too scratchy (at least thats what i think). Ive never had any trouble with any other critters wanting to go inside (ants, spiders, snakes). Not sure how your area is.
Thank you so much

Romeo Serback

New Jersey

Waiting impatiently!
That's beautiful! When I move to Florida, I'll do that for my leopard!

Attachments

• 20190516_175820.jpg
    20190516_175820.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 21

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
I have a free male to a good home if you know of anyone. He is only about 5 years old.
Search for a rescue in your state. If there isn’t one and you want to drive him down to Texas, TexasTortoiserescue.com. I volunteer as the social media manager. It is also the place from which I am adopting.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Search for a rescue in your state. If there isn’t one and you want to drive him down to Texas, TexasTortoiserescue.com. I volunteer as the social media manager. It is also the place from which I am adopting.

I knew that looked like a Texas Lawn!!! Lol!!!

shellcior

Magnolia, Tx
Tank uses this rubber wall curtain like the grocery stores have. It works great! He comes in and out as he pleases and it keeps the warm air in and cold air out. Got this one custom made from Stripdoors Online for about $55.00. Very easy to install. Enclosure looks fantastic!

Attachments

• 20181117_164322.jpg
    20181117_164322.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20181117_164327.jpg
    20181117_164327.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 31

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
I just got the call. My adoption went through. I will have my new male adult sulcata early next week. I will post pics when I have him. So excited. I will find out more about him at that time such as age and exact size but he looks to be about 20 inches long. No idea of the weight.
Congratulations! 20 inches long is a big boy! You may have a problem with him in that males especially, like to dig, and as your enclosure only meets the ground, he will be able to dig out of it in a very short amount of time. My daughter had a large adult male, and in spite of having a very nice house with a door made of plastic carpet runner that let light in, he dug a burrow that ended up being 10 feet long and 4 feet deep. We put our cinder block walls on top of a 24" foundation when our guys were 7 inches long, and discouraged them every time they started to dig by putting large river rock over any newly dug (and refilled) hole that they started. They eventually got the hint and stopped digging, but I'm sure someday one of them will try it again. We dug the trench for the foundation using a trencher, then used the dry cement mix that you get for posts, filled the trench, poured in the water, and worked it down with a sturdy piece of rebar. It's been in over 12 years, and holding up very well. And the boys are much bigger now!

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
Congratulations! 20 inches long is a big boy! You may have a problem with him in that males especially, like to dig, and as your enclosure only meets the ground, he will be able to dig out of it in a very short amount of time. My daughter had a large adult male, and in spite of having a very nice house with a door made of plastic carpet runner that let light in, he dug a burrow that ended up being 10 feet long and 4 feet deep. We put our cinder block walls on top of a 24" foundation when our guys were 7 inches long, and discouraged them every time they started to dig by putting large river rock over any newly dug (and refilled) hole that they started. They eventually got the hint and stopped digging, but I'm sure someday one of them will try it again. We dug the trench for the foundation using a trencher, then used the dry cement mix that you get for posts, filled the trench, poured in the water, and worked it down with a sturdy piece of rebar. It's been in over 12 years, and holding up very well. And the boys are much bigger now!

Thank you for the information.