Finishing up my collapsible & adjustable winter quarters

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So during the summer Levi well outgrew last years indoor accommodations (below) so we had to think of something new.
iJkdbts.png

I have a lot of tropical plants as well as a hedgehog that also need to be kept toasty in the winter so I decided to turn our whole front room into a warm room. I used the play-pen fencing I already had and folded up a double layer of 16 millimeter all weather tarp underneath it ( I folded it around the bottom like wrapping a present so there would be side height to hold in the mulch). There is also a double layer of painters plastic under the whole thing just to be safe.

YhhC7gL.png

In this pic you can see the lip of tarp around the edge as well as the humidifier and radiator. The radiator is on a thermostat but seeing as SC got record snowfall yesterday I don't think it will be kicking off anytime soon. My hedgie is in the wooden kennel and my betta is on top of him.

PZvCMBF.png

This is the other side of the set-up, I have breeze blocks in the back and my rose of sharon pots in the front to rest ply-wood on for a combo plant shelf/hide.

wbcN9fy.png

Close -up of the left side, I reused the platform my dad and I built last year for a little extra space and a secondary water bowl.

UgVOGC6.png

Close up of the jungle on the right, the big water dish, and panzer :tort:

I'm actually pretty proud of myself on this one, just need to find a CHE fixture that actually works for a hot-spot and It'll be done. Obviously bigger would be better but I think it will work well this winter and its made out of stuff I already had and will be able to easily re-use for other tort projects.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I would be concerned that the enclosure is not climb proof and that the water dish could be pushed out of place.

But, I like the roaming space and the design.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Good idea, however, the second level and the ramp needs to have sides so they don't fall off. The humidifier will not keep that whole area at 80% so your torts will continue to pyramid. The last thing, keep a very close eye on the two. They should not be housed together and if bullying hasn't started already, most likely it will sometime soon. It can be very sudtle, like the smaller one staying on the second level to get away from the larger one.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I would be concerned that the enclosure is not climb proof and that the water dish could be pushed out of place.

But, I like the roaming space and the design.
?....Oh the water dish is in a hole cut out in the wooden platform. It can't move.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Good idea, however, the second level and the ramp needs to have sides so they don't fall off. The humidifier will not keep that whole area at 80% so your torts will continue to pyramid. The last thing, keep a very close eye on the two. They should not be housed together and if bullying hasn't started already, most likely it will sometime soon. It can be very sudtle, like the smaller one staying on the second level to get away from the larger one.

Sorry the pictures are unclear, I have three. My big guy is about a year and a half older than the smaller two. I've been keeping my eye out for bullying but I haven't seen any signs. I give them all their own pile at food time. Under the plant table are cinder block acting as hide dividers so its like having 4 hides for three torts so everyone definitely has a place to be alone. Right now the ambient room humidity is 60%, 70% at tort level in the mulch and 75% in the hides....I've been thinking about enclosing the hides to make them a bit more humid but I don't think my humidity is that off. And you are right about the sides...I havent had a problem yet but I need to do something about it. I'm looking for coroplast to staple up at the moment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oop, sorry, I only seen two. Sounds like you are prepared for and have an eye on it, the bullying that is. No, your humidity is not that far off, if you have good gauges. Just not sure how you can get that high of humidity with so much of it opened. But if it's working, leave it alone.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Oop, sorry, I only seen two. Sounds like you are prepared for and have an eye on it, the bullying that is. No, your humidity is not that far off, if you have good gauges. Just not sure how you can get that high of humidity with so much of it opened. But if it's working, leave it alone.
I have two little digital gauges that are in agreement, might need to get a better one just to be sure. If it makes more sense though it's a 10x9 room that is closed off with French doors (they are always closed to keep the cats out). So I have the humidifier + 10 sq ft of cypress mulch + a 4 gal heated and filtered open top betta tank + 20ish plant pots with moist soil so there is a lot of moisture in the room in general. Luckily I live in a 100 year old building in what is lovingly referred too as the armpit of SC, so ambient outdoor humidity is 80% in the summer (since my building is pre AC invention it can handle the high humidity)

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I think you did a fantastic job. The only real thing I noticed was the ramp. Just needs railing so they don't fall off the side.
Thanks for sharing this!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
So during the summer Levi well outgrew last years indoor accommodations (below) so we had to think of something new.
iJkdbts.png

I have a lot of tropical plants as well as a hedgehog that also need to be kept toasty in the winter so I decided to turn our whole front room into a warm room. I used the play-pen fencing I already had and folded up a double layer of 16 millimeter all weather tarp underneath it ( I folded it around the bottom like wrapping a present so there would be side height to hold in the mulch). There is also a double layer of painters plastic under the whole thing just to be safe.

YhhC7gL.png

In this pic you can see the lip of tarp around the edge as well as the humidifier and radiator. The radiator is on a thermostat but seeing as SC got record snowfall yesterday I don't think it will be kicking off anytime soon. My hedgie is in the wooden kennel and my betta is on top of him.

PZvCMBF.png

This is the other side of the set-up, I have breeze blocks in the back and my rose of sharon pots in the front to rest ply-wood on for a combo plant shelf/hide.

wbcN9fy.png

Close -up of the left side, I reused the platform my dad and I built last year for a little extra space and a secondary water bowl.

UgVOGC6.png

Close up of the jungle on the right, the big water dish, and panzer :tort:

I'm actually pretty proud of myself on this one, just need to find a CHE fixture that actually works for a hot-spot and It'll be done. Obviously bigger would be better but I think it will work well this winter and its made out of stuff I already had and will be able to easily re-use for other tort projects.

What an absolutely perfect, resourceful and creative set up....I love when someone hits all bases with careful planning and use of items on hand.....bravo my friend...perfect. The humidity will increase as the time goes on....lovely job.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I think you did a fantastic job. The only real thing I noticed was the ramp. Just needs railing so they don't fall off the side.
Thanks for sharing this!
Thanks! I got some coroplast up this weekend, just stapled it to the edges, it seems sturdy so far!

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
What an absolutely perfect, resourceful and creative set up....I love when someone hits all bases with careful planning and use of items on hand.....bravo my friend...perfect. The humidity will increase as the time goes on....lovely job.

Thank you! I was pretty proud of myself for using available materials ;)