Fire hydrants?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
They are something we rarely think about, till the question comes up on the homeowners policy. How far is the property from a fire hydrant?

My Vol Fire Dept used to be one mile away, but they built a new building, now they are 1/2 mile away. That wasn't close enough for one of my neighbors..............

Yesterday while writing at the computer, I heard a whole herd of Fire trucks going down my street, at least TEN, followed by 4 ambulances and 2 police cars in very fast succession while blaring their sirens! I didn't know why there were so many, for a home in a community? Then I thought, what if the gas dock exploded on the river?

I did what any parent does, I asked my plugged-in kid.....she already knew the "deal"....

House Fire on North Carolina ave, total loss, no injuries or deaths, so many fire trucks from surrounding companies b/c w don't have hydrants and they had to refill in the creek. This pic was snatched from facebook showing the firetruck refilling at our boat ramp. The house that burned isn't 300yds from the water......so sad.

320939467_688153479440439_3397087603347589761_n.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I live about 1/2 miles from the fire dept... last year the hanger on a CHE in my tort shed broke and landed face down and before I discovered it, it had burned thru the 3/4" plywood and into the insulation under the floor. I'm running around like a crazy person screaming fire call 911 and grabbing a hose that was not connected, but the RN next door had called 911 and was throwing her hose at me over the fence...my grandson (28 yrs) was in the house w/headphones on...and didn't hear me screaming. So I heard the sirens when they went on, but I'm like diving into the burned floor pushing the hose in and pulling out flaming insulation...so in seconds 5 fire trucks and 2 medic outside my house, crowds are gathering neighbors hoping I get burned out. The fire guys had such a hard time yanking the hoses over fences, knocking down Sulcata cinder block then they freakin sawed my tort shed floor!!! Holy sh**. Not one of the guys was over 12 years I'm sure. It sucked actually. Now there's a gap in my floor that is cold in the winter...yet, I had shoved more insulation under the floor. I had to block that side of the shed just because that floor is cold now. The fire captain had Sulcata so he was very excited to meet Mary Knobbins...that part was kewl...

here's my Dale Earnhardt Memorial Christmas Tree...100_1397.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I live "out in the country' and there are no hydrants here.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
gathering neighbors hoping I get burned out. The
LMFAO........no Mags, they aren't !! At least I hope not!

I remember when that burned.......you had posted about it!

If there are wells for water, there usually won't be any fire hydrants.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We are all on wells where I am, and all the wells have hook ups for the FD.

What I find interesting as I travel around the world and around the country is the different colors communities choose for their fire hydrants. Red, yellow, silver, green...

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
and all the wells have hook ups for the FD.
How does that work Tom? I'm curious because it's something I've never heard of or as a plumber, thought possible.

Typically a residential well has a 1" pipe leaving the well. A Tanker carries btwn 2-4K gal. A 1" pipe flows 660-720 gal per hour(11-12gal per min) so you can see why, my curiosity.

I would absolutely be happy with a 1" water line, as opposed to no water at all but I have to think they are doing something different than I am understanding it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How does that work Tom? I'm curious because it's something I've never heard of or as a plumber, thought possible.

Typically a residential well has a 1" pipe leaving the well. A Tanker carries btwn 2-4K gal. A 1" pipe flows 660-720 gal per hour(11-12gal per min) so you can see why, my curiosity.

I would absolutely be happy with a 1" water line, as opposed to no water at all but I have to think they are doing something different than I am understanding it?
I'll take a picture for you. If memory serves (and we know how that is...) its about a 3 inch pipe arranged with easy access next to a road, and it has the required fitting for their intake hoses on it. Most tanks are 10,000 gallons. We also have signs in some areas denoting where swimming pools are and how many gallons, for emergency use by the FD.