Fires and hibernation

Lindi unger

I have had 2 russian tortoises for 12 years and for the last 2 winters have had their baby.

they live in a large enclosure on the enclosed back patio.

in California we have awful air quality from all the fires. My female and youngster went into hibernation in mid august At least a month and a half early.

their area is pretty big, should dig around and find them or leave them?
Do fires cause them to hibernate early?
Advice please!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Mine have disappeared too, but it's not brumation, it's estivation. Tortoises dig down when it gets real hot and they just wait there until it either rains or cools off. The air quality is not harming your tortoises. Don't worry about it.

Lindi unger

Thank you! I have never had them do it for so long. We gave them more soul so i guess they are happy . I feel much better. Thanks! 1599860950124.png

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Our Russian is digging down this very minute and it’s not from heat; it’s because we had several overcast days followed by now smoky skies; she thinks the days are shortening. The earliest she’s ever gone down is early October after a similarly overcast period; at this point I’m crossing my fingers we’ll make it that far. She’s still eating a little so not all is lost.

She’s not gained any weight since spring so I don’t feel great about a long hibernation. We’ll figure it out but I am not happy today.