First annoyed CDT ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
So, brumation is right around the corner...I have one of the men folk here that have dug their own natural burrow that goes down 7+ feet at a 45 degree angle and then goes a little further and then turns left, I think? and who knows where it goes from there...so last year I covered the burrow so he could be gathered readily from his above ground hide when the weather proves that necessary--and he dug a drop in hole from above his burrow entrance and his smug little but remained in his burrow all winter--but we did not have much rain so all was fine...

Yesterday after near half hour of knocking at his burrow entrance he slowly crawled on out to me and came over and looked at me like "what"? So I plopped him in his tub for about an hour warm water soak and during that time I did the horrible deed of covering the burrow entrance...well, two metal signs and a piece of plywood held down by a half dozen pavers and concrete caps later it is covered....well, I was impressed with my work--he absolutely was not as impressed....

He did reluctantly retreat to his above ground hide and now today he has been out most of the day basking and pacing and digging a few "I know I left that burrow somewhere" starter holes and walking away...

Tomorrow it is going to be cool during the day and near 36-38 degrees at night with chance of showers,,,.so they may be indoors if showers and those low temps come in together.....

No matter how many times I support this part of their life I always feel the dance coming on on my part to make sure I don't move them in too soon or leave them out too far....so, just know while it is a dance you get more familiar with--there is a dance none the less....:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's too funny. I can imagine his look. That's quite a burrow he had drug himself.
Gotta stay one step ahead I see:)

thatrebecca

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
I love your stories about your menfolk, Angela. Do you put them away for the winter all at the same time or each tort as he seems ready? Morticia seems like she may be ready before her older brother is.

nancykj

5 Year Member
hi ascott,
funny story! a question to you. would you bring your torts indoors tomorrow to prevent them from going into hibernation? i live in woodland hills, and tonight i got my two torts all set up outside, in their enclosures, with their houses all covered with tarp in case it does indeed rain. but i am hoping they do not go into hibernation just yet coz they are still eating, and one just peed.
would you bring them in, and then put them out again if it warms?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Love it! :D I've seen the same look over here. I also find it hard when it comes to this time of year. I think that's why I've never hibernated before. I always feel bad because it's cold. Tonight though I soaked Houdini like you mentioned in the other thread so he is indoors, but tomorrow if it doesn't rain he'll be back out. :p

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you put them away for the winter all at the same time or each tort as he seems ready

Usually they all seem to wind down within days of one another...but yes, if one seems ready first in line the he will be set in for his beauty rest....

would you bring your torts indoors tomorrow to prevent them from going into hibernation?

No, actually I would only bring them in if it is certain cold and wet will happen tomorrow night---I do not want to keep them from brumation, I simply want to make sure that right before brumation they do not find themselves in cold and wet ---this could prove hazardous to them for the safest brumation....

I always feel bad because it's cold.

I only worry about cold and wet...not cold alone--, but see--I think I don't feel bad because I know that I am not doing anything "to them" but rather allowing them to do what they have evolved to do...to me there are so many other things that are affected by brumation and I am not convinced that it is a bad thing....I mean, I believe there is constant rapid un natural growth for a tort when it is designed to brumate but is forced to remain awake...I also am a believer that if you live fast, well, you get to the finish line too quick...lol...is there anyway for me to scientifically prove these beliefs? No, but then there is not anyway for me to be proven scientifically wrong....so in some things in life, I go with my gut....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.