First clutch of eggs!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
First clutch ever! I suspect Rafiki laid the remainder of her eggs, found these 6 in their hide today. This is roughly 3 weeks after she or one of my other three laid a single egg.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465423645.178345.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1465423788.704924.jpg

No mature males in my group, I think they're all female bit mandarin is still too small to tell.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Still very cool! How big is she now? She is only 5-6 years old! Did not realize they could lay eggs so young. Maybe it isn't an age thing but rather a size issue. Curiouser and curiouser.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Still very cool! How big is she now? She is only 5-6 years old! Did not realize they could lay eggs so young. Maybe it isn't an age thing but rather a size issue. Curiouser and curiouser.

I just measured Rafiki and she's 8" SCL. She is the largest in the group and the only one I've seen digging...so I'm deducing that these eggs and the single egg three weeks ago are hers. How large are/were yours when they started up? I'm elated and I can't wait to start on a breeding project in the coming years. I just need some time to get my ducks in a row.

@wellington
I'm not going to incubate because I don't have the capacity or an incubator. I'm a "do it right the first time" kind of person... yep, Type-A perfectionist here. Funniest thing is, I always find ways to improve things so it's never "right the first time". Also, the eggs were laid on the surface and appear to be a little hyper-calcified and I'm 90% sure I don't have a mature male in the group. Rolling the dice!

dumje

5 Year Member
Miami Florida
I had raised a group of Colombians and they started laying small infertile clutches right as they passed the 8" mark. They are approaching 10 inches and now are laying larger clutches and Im having a higher fertility rate in that group. Size is a huge factor in egg laying. Some will grow faster than others and some will grow slower.

You keep saying you do not have a mature male in the group...but do you have a male? It may be mature and you just don't think it is. At the very least I would put those eggs in a container and give it a shot. I have hatched without an incubator just by placing them in a container and put them in my garage.

good luck!!!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I had raised a group of Colombians and they started laying small infertile clutches right as they passed the 8" mark. They are approaching 10 inches and now are laying larger clutches and Im having a higher fertility rate in that group. Size is a huge factor in egg laying. Some will grow faster than others and some will grow slower.

You keep saying you do not have a mature male in the group...but do you have a male? It may be mature and you just don't think it is. At the very least I would put those eggs in a container and give it a shot. I have hatched without an incubator just by placing them in a container and put them in my garage.

good luck!!!

Three are female one is still too small to tell.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no idea if age or size. I do know that Tom has always said its more about size then age. My leopard was only five, which was last year and had like 4 clutches. She pretty good sized. Just something for you to chew on:D

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
What did they taste like?

Haha, I was wondering if anyone would work me over about cracked tortoise eggs on a plate!
Didn't try 'em...maybe next time? Nah, I think I'm good!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Found a couple eggs while cleaning the enclosure today. Rafiki was digging 2-3 weeks ago. These are probably old and I may have missed the others but still pretty neat.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489861066.228214.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489861084.522178.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1489861095.814610.jpg

More yoke than albumen...

allegraf

10 Year Member!
My neighbor that raises chickens asked the same question...as if! Although yours are obviously not fertile, so if you catch them laying...I might be tempted...but I'm Asian and I've eaten haggis.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
My neighbor that raises chickens asked the same question...as if! Although yours are obviously not fertile, so if you catch them laying...I might be tempted...but I'm Asian and I've eaten haggis.

I just don't think I could bring myself to do it after seeing them wolf down their own poop...