First hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hayesy

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

I bought my first tortoise Blitz this year in April,

He's a Greek spur thigh and I believe that he is around 12 months old,

He's eating well,grown considerably and hasn't shown any signs of illness as well as being really active,

Should I be ok to hibernate him?

If so what should I be doing to prepare him?

The Internet is full of contradicting information so I thought I'd ask the experts!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Colorado Springs, CO
Greek spur thigh? If you mean just a Greek tortoise, I would not hibernate any tortoise that you have only owned for not even a year. Can be dangerous and not recommended. I personally do not hibernate any of my tortoises.
Hibernation is a choice by owner... Most hibernate their torts because many believe that they breed more successfully after a good sleep...

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Before even considering brumation (hibernation) you have to know where your Greek (Spur-thigh) is from. Not all subspecies brumate. Some, depending upon their wild geographical location are active or semi-active throughout coole periods because those periods do not actually get cold enough consistently to warrant true (brumation).

For the most part, the only subspecies of Greek that definitey brumates throughout almost their entire known range is Ibera, Testudo (gracea) ibera.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Yes, pictures for ID, ABSOLUTELY needed; if not an Ibera, then you may consider the link I posted below. And... did he lived outdoors this year? That harden them properly; I hibernated tortoises without problems, but I have only a few infos about INDOOR animals being hibernated. Personally, I would not hibernate without some fear an indoor kept one... maybe no problem, but never tried by myself. Keep him outdoors at least next season and check the below variant for the winter to come; read and catch the... "catch" about hibernation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...estudo-safer-even-for-beginners#axzz26puv5QJ5

Hayesy

5 Year Member
What kind of pictures would you need to ID him?

I've attached a couple but let me know if you need different angles,

His CITIES say he is a Testudo Graeca and he's 3 years old not 18 months!

Thanks for your help so far! The Internet is full of misinformation and this is really useful!

Attachments

• image-2343865234.png
    image-2343865234.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
  • image-101823806.png
    image-101823806.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 16

Hayesy

5 Year Member
image-4172907228.png

Attachments

• image-1556848543.png
    image-1556848543.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • image-919516000.png
    image-919516000.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
still nothing. Still I wouldn't in the first year of owning it. They only 'pros' I know are for breeding purpose. Lots of cons I can come up with as I know a hand full of people who have had deaths due to hibernation.

Status
Not open for further replies.