First Indoor Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

swim2298

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NYC
Hey everyone!

I'm trying to build my first indoor enclosure for my russian tortoise that i'm getting and want to make sure I have everything set before he gets here.

This is everything that I have so far. Please let me know what I'm missing. I just bought a 54 gallon storage tub to house him. I have coconut fiber substrate, a 100w Mercury Vapor UVB light, a light that can hold up to 150w, a place for him to hide, a food dish and a cuttlebone. I'm going out now to buy a heat thermometer, humidity thermometer, food and a water dish. I'm definitely missing something so please let me know.

Brett

austinSOLO

5 Year Member
washington state
the size is good for a beginner, but you should get a water dish so he can soak or drink if he wants, and im pretty sure a mercury vapor bulb has uva and uvb rays. but you could always put a big rock or something for him to feed on so he could trim his nails.

doubletorts

5 Year Member
I just got a rock for my torts, they're actually pretty cheap at home depot and it'll add some warmth too when he basks.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
YOu are off to a great start! Get a shallow water dish (plant pot base), large enough for him to climb in.
They tend to pace the edges, so set this in the middle, you can surround it with some small rocks.
Yes, piece of slate or a rough tile near the MVB makes a nice basking area. Position the MVB on one side, so the other side will be cooler.
If there is room, put a small log in, as they like to climb over things.

Status
Not open for further replies.