" First Love / Clemmys guttata Story "

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Finally found it - the right view from June '04 -

Beautiful animal! Thanks for the story. I've lived in a city most of my life and only turtles I'd seen were the RES in last 20 years (they live in the ponds in my subdivision). I suppose I had more awareness of tortoises (seen poor little Russians in those pitiful baren Petco/Petsmart tanks, and big Galapagos torts in ZOO's (and Sulcatas ofcourse). My kids's recent baby RF ownership has opened a whole new world I never knew existed. I love this forum, and all of you guys sharing your expertise and wisdom here. I didn't think I'd learn something new and have this much fun in the process at my age:) How cool! Those Spotteds are absolutely beautiful!!!! Love all that red/orange on them. If my life took couple of different turns 2 decades ago, I'd totally be getting my pods and indoor tanks set up for some of those so I could see them daily. Before reading this thread I thought that those Diamondgack terrapins were the most beautiful I'd ever seen, but now, I'm thinking that there is just no end to mother nature's imagination, talent and creativity. Thank you for the stories and visuals. Please keep them coming

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Wait til you see the Kinixys erosa Pearly - will do that next...

In the process of finishing the last Terrapin enclosure now.. so will proceed with the story ASAP.

- next chapter -

The laying season of the Alpha female.. the grandmother of the F2 ...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Pearly I obviously survived it -- actually he didn't catch me trespassing or I would probably still be there. He told me to get back in the car.. and don't get out again! I asked him if I could get my net.. which he allowed me to do.

This is about Edisto ( no commercial motels.. only private owned rentals / timeshare and camping ) - a great place to visit to walk the beach and pick-up seashells!!!

http://www.edistobeach.com/

One of the 'sites' in that area - http://www.cypressgardens.info/ .. what a shock to find it was flooded - have many pics and memories from there - [ don't let that 3rd one scare you! ] - this first one was taken from a row boat out among them!

Back to the "Spotted Turtle" story next.

Pearly - wonder why you're the only one participating? Everybody afraid of 'the wrath'...???

Hm-m-m-m...I wonder. Could it be because you yell at anyone who happens to express an opinion on one of your threads?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
While visiting "Cypress Gardens" in 1999 - they were in the process of creating an alligator display. Thru a series of events I met the Director of Herpetology of South Carolina who had an interest in a pair of Leopard tortoises I had at the time. Arrangements were made with Cypress Gardens to trade for 1.4(?) spotted turtles. That's when it began!

Early 2000 those females laid something like 20 eggs. And they did virtually the same thing in 2001!

This is a sampling of the 2 & 3 year olds' -

The "Alpha" Male - note how dark the face -

Somewhere during his growth he had a 'bite' taken out of a marginal scute.. didn't stop him -

And this Female beauty -

Not the best 'face' pic.. but note the difference in colors -

Actually I liked the SC locale best because of face/head colors and much fewer "spots" on carapace.

You'll see what I mean next!!!

@Pearly isn't the only one that likes these spotted turtles... come on guys.. say something?!?
I'm also liking these spotted turtles, just let me catch up with the story ;)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
What an excellent read. Those spotted turtles are so pretty.
How much does a hatchling weigh? There tiny.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Come on Terry. Show us those babies! I'll just show one of mine as a teaser for everyone - to see how cute and small a hatchling spotted really is!

View attachment 178592

Actually @Markw84 I've been waiting to see yours! [ is putting the @ in front of someones name mean "tagging".. so they get notified? ]

( haven't felt well lately.. have a health issue that few know about that really saps my energy sometimes )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually @Markw84 I've been waiting to see yours! [ is putting the @ in front of someones name mean "tagging".. so they get notified? ]

( haven't felt well lately.. have a health issue that few know about that really saps my energy sometimes )
Yes the @ before the name will highlite the name and send that person an alert.
Sorry your not feeling well.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
sorry to hear that, Terry. Hope you're on the mend.

Well... since you've given permission and to keep the thread alive until you feel better and can continue the story - here's a clutch hatching. @Anyfoot they weigh about 5-6g.

IMG_1203.JPG

And some ready for their first nursery tank...

IMG_1317.JPG

Here's the momma - in the pond today...

IMG_3393.JPG

OK, Terry. Your turn to continue YOUR story....

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Thanks Mark ...

I'll get off the story-line for now to show some "baby-pics" - these are older pics that are various sizes.. don't feel like "Photo-shopping tonight!!!

Notice the crazy "spots" on these guys!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Those are great babies. Love the spots!! Do you still have them? Did they continue to grow "high spot"? Beautiful spotties!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes. They can do great in an indoor setup. One of the smallest turtles, and once started, I find quite easy. It's just they can be poor swimmers - no webbed feet. So they do best in perhaps 6-9" of water with lots of plants - fake or real. They do leave plants alone more than most any other turtle, so you can do well with live plants. Kind of like your mud turtle - they like to hang in the plants at the surface. Most say they need a bit more land area, but I find mine don't use it too much at all if they are healthy.