First Meal of the Year

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
About my fencing - the box turtles, with the exception of the Gulf coasts, are all in the same general area. The perimeter fence has a lip on it so they can't climb out, but the dividing fences have no lip. If you notice mixed species in the pictures, it's not the norm. They've just gotten up from brumation and tried their hand at exploring. When I get the time I'll get them all back where they belong. And because the City is widening the road in front of my house, and it affects the Gulf Coast box turtle yard, I've had to move them. With no place else to put them, I added them into the three toe yard.

These are supposed to be the easterns (Terrapene carolina carolina), but I see a luteola in the group. There are supposed to be 2.6 easterns.

box turtles 4-16 22 a.jpg

This is the Florida yard (Terrapene carolina bauri), but the 3.0 of them are all in their shelter. This little ornata (Terrapene ornata ornata) doesn't have her own yard. She's one of a kind. And I hope next time Maggie comes to visit she goes home with her.
box turtles 4-16 22 b.jpg

Here we have the western box turtles (Terrapene ornata, but I still call them luteola). And I see an eastern and a three toe in there. There are supposed to be 2.6 luteola.

box turtles 4-16-22 c.jpg

And this is the three toe yard (Terrapene carolina triunguis). I can see all three (2.1) of the gulf coast (Terrapene carolina major), and a couple or three eastern. I don't know how many three toes there are.
box turtles 4-16-22 d.jpg

Just a note about the weather today - the temperature is 56F degrees with 20% precip. and 86% humidity. There is NO sun, and yet these guys have come out to eat.

The menu today is moistened Mazuri mixed with a can of Wellness brand duck/sweet potato and some canteloup. I try to buy Wellness venison/sweet potato, but it's been out of stock for a while.

Last edited:

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
When you hurt yourself and I was feeding, I counted the three toed and lost count at about 25...

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
About my fencing - the box turtles, with the exception of the Gulf coasts, are all in the same general area. The perimeter fence has a lip on it so they can't climb out, but the dividing fences have no lip. If you notice mixed species in the pictures, it's not the norm. They've just gotten up from brumation and tried their hand at exploring. When I get the time I'll get them all back where they belong. And because the City is widening the road in front of my house, and it affects the Gulf Coast box turtle yard, I've had to move them. With no place else to put them, I added them into the three toe yard.

These are supposed to be the easterns (Terrapene carolina carolina), but I see a luteola in the group. There are supposed to be 2.6 easterns.

View attachment 343298

This is the Florida yard (Terrapene carolina bauri), but the 3.0 of them are all in their shelter. This little ornata (Terrapene ornata ornata) doesn't have her own yard. She's one of a kind. And I hope next time Maggie comes to visit she goes home with her.
View attachment 343299

Here we have the western box turtles (Terrapene ornata, but I still call them luteola). And I see an eastern and a three toe in there. There are supposed to be 2.6 luteola.

View attachment 343300

And this is the three toe yard (Terrapene carolina triunguis). I can see all three (2.1) of the gulf coast (Terrapene carolina major), and a couple or three eastern. I don't know how many three toes there are.
View attachment 343301

Just a note about the weather today - the temperature is 56F degrees with 20% precip. and 86% humidity. There is NO sun, and yet these guys have come out to eat.

The menu today is moistened Mazuri mixed with a can of Wellness brand duck/sweet potato and some canteloup. I try to buy Wellness venison/sweet potato, but it's been out of stock for a while.
How?! How?! Did you get so many boxies?

DoubleD1996!

Memphis

View attachment 343298

View attachment 343299

View attachment 343300

View attachment 343301

This is dope! I want to do something similar on my next property.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How?! How?! Did you get so many boxies?
I operated a turtle/tortoise rescue for over 20 years. The most common animal turned in was three toe box turtle, then sulcata, then desert tortoise. It was never my intention to keep the rescues, but I stopped operating the rescue before I had found homes for the rest of the box turtles.

Last edited: