First photo of huge indoor enclosure in progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Columbia, SC
So, I've posted several random threads mentioning this new enclosure we're working on. I decided to take a picture of Rosie "in" the pen for size comparison. In the picture, the pen is up on end. The whole thing is not yet done and will also be painted, have liner, as well as a lid and control system. Buuut I gave Rosie a "sneak peek" of her future home and I think she felt lost!

I'm going to have a heck of a time climbing into it to paint it and plant it and decorate it :D Thankfully this base is only 2 feet tall so I can climb over. The lid we're constructing will be removeable and have plexi-glass doors.

Attachments

• photo (1).JPG
    photo (1).JPG
    60 KB · Views: 991

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Nice! Where do you plan to put this enclosure?

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
We're building it. It's sooo heavy and I'm hoping it fits through the hallway lol. The dimensions are 6 ft by 4 ft and 2 ft tall. She's not yet 4" sooo she has some growing into it to do! It will be going in our third bedroom aka the pet room, lol. When she's an adult it won't seem so overwhelmingly huge.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I believe Rosie is wondering why it's not done yet cause she wants a HUGE enclosure and thinks you should be done with planting it for her by now ; )
I'm jealous. It looks great! Can't wait to see the final pictures.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I'm wondering how I'll be able to keep track of her in it once it's planted.. and how I'll clean up after her. Might have to get some earthworms living in there to digest her poos and in turn create nicely aerated soil. Would 80% humidity be too high for earth worms? Guess if all else fails she'd get a nice snack out of them...

If she seems to get too lost then I'll probably partition off part of the enclosure with edging rocks as a barrier and let the plants grow up in that portion. Just hopefully she still decides to come out to see me and doesn't go feral :p

80zthomas

5 Year Member
Vacaville, Ca
What type of plants are you going for? I like that idea Corning off one side of the table to let the plants grow.

We as you and your significant other? Did you water proof it or are you putting a liner in? Do you plan on putting a cover over or maybe a sheet of plexiglass over to keep humidity in?

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I have some plants that have been growing from cuttings and whatnot for a while. I have a LOT of wandering jew cuttings, a spider plant, a bella palm, and a dracaena type plant. It won't nearly be enough to fill it but by the time it's done my boyfriend and I will have another paycheck and can go to the local nursery and see what other plants are on fall-sale.

The top is going to be a solid and slanted lid, the back part of the lid will be about 2 feet tall (so the whole thing will be 4 ft-ish total in the back to allow room for mounting lights, and to let plants grow taller), and the front part of the lid will be hinged plexi-glass doors. The whole thing will be able to come apart to let us move it in/out of the room since the doorway is only 28".

As for the wood, I'll be painting it with acrylic based high-gloss paint and putting in plastic lining. It'll take a while to complete since we don't yet have the dirt, plexi-glass and the wood still needs to dry before I want to paint it. But I'll share progress pictures (most likely next weekend) as it comes along!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
The wood is still fairly damp so we bought a space heater and will be putting some fans on it. So hopefully it dries in the next week or so. My bf is constructing the lid frame tonight!

Why is plexi-glass so darn expensive?! I want two huge front "windows" that are hinged and it'll be $40 additional for the plexi alone... Not to mention the extra electronics we're putting in. But, we're hoping this is a one time indoor enclosure that will last her for a while. Once she's bigger she'll be outdoors in summer and in this pen for winters which is why we're building it as big as we are. :tort:

LongislandPhan

5 Year Member
WOW, Very nice job! I use a 4ft long X 2ft wide X 1ft Deep for my little guys but i would love this! Cant wait to see the finished product

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Here's a thus-far progress picture. :p

pic2.jpg

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
WOW!!! Nice job- and a lot of work! I'd say your boyfriend is definitely a keeper!;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.