First photo of huge indoor enclosure in progress!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Now you have made sure you can get this into the room it's going right? Plus you can manage the weight during the move? Otherwise, you might be wanting to only do like temporary fastening of it now, so you can take it apart and move it by sections. I love how it is looking so far.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
The top part isn't permanently attached to the base. It will kind of nest onto pegs to keep it from being able to slip off, so the whole thing will never be permanently attached. As for the moving thing... let's hope, haha. We can wheel it out of the garage down the sidewalk and then there's only 2 steps into the front door and the room that it will be in is right there. We will have to take the door off to get it through and shuffle around the gerbils/rabbits in the room to make room.

I told him if ever a bomb goes off we'll just climb into the enclosure since it's built to last. :p Not even sure how I'm going to paint it since I'll have to climb in, paint half, then wait for it to dry to do the other half.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Since it's going to be fully enclosed we're figuring it won't take that much to keep it warm. We're putting in an mvb, regular heat lamp, and probably under soil heat cables. But the mvb in an enclosed space will probably heat it up a fair bit.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Wow!! Very cool!

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Attached a new photo (from phone) of progress thus far! Going to start caulking seams and cutting the lining and painting what I can.

Still need plexiglas and to attach hinges, handles, casters, and the electronic control system.

It only weighs about 300 pounds >.>

Attachments

• image-1529737402.png
    image-1529737402.png
    1 MB · Views: 147

WillTort2

5 Year Member
RosieRedfoot said:
Attached a new photo (from phone) of progress thus far! Going to start caulking seams and cutting the lining and painting what I can.

Still need plexiglas and to attach hinges, handles, casters, and the electronic control system.

It only weighs about 300 pounds >.>

check your scales...it shouldn't weigh 300 yet...not until you add 150 lbs of substrate and plants. :)

looks great...very nice job.

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
It's heavy... We don't know how much it weighs exactly but it's not light. It basically will have a second layer of wood on the outside to give it a flat front appearance. I looked up average weights of the lumber and calculated that it's at least 260 pounds without substrate. Like I said, my boyfriend is building it sturdy... Haha. Sooo anyone strong on the forum live close by? :p

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I built a similar one last year. Got it set up in the garage. Only thing I forgot was the wheels. Oh well, hope I don't have to move it soon.
Good job on yours, it looks great...

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Started painting and sealing it! No pictures to update as of yet... I bought 3 more plants on sale (umbrella tree, a dracaena, and a fern)... Also been potting a bunch of wandering jew cuttings from the outside hanging baskets. It's gonna be one huge buffet to her! Just hope that with more plants the selection is too overwhelming and she doesn't destroy *all* of them off the bat. But will eventually buy some silk plants as well that she can't eat! :tort:

It's getting closer to completion! :D

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
Will take some after I get the first coat done. Had to run out today to buy more caulking which put things back. Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.