first post created a stir, keeping multiple species

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Panacure and Flagyl just for good measure? Not sure that is good advice. Maybe a vet check first to see if there is anything actually to treat first.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
It blows me away about this advice...

Where do you think the vets got their beginning on the treatment of herps? Surely not vet school.

Let's see... diagnostics... $1000... outcome... inclusive.

Panacure and Flagyl... safe and very broad spectrum...

I really can't put into words the direction of this point... but... been there... done that.

chadk said:
Panacure and Flagyl just for good measure? Not sure that is good advice. Maybe a vet check first to see if there is anything actually to treat first.

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah it is actually good advise. There is no down side if done properly. I routinely "deworm" my outside tortoises every year. Most good keepers that I know do the same. So the fact is that the tortoises in question have "possibly" been exposed to some pathogen. Agreed? It is easier and cheaper to just assume that they have it than check to see. As it is also entirely possible for your vet tech to check for something and miss it anyway. New World and Old World Tortoises should never be mixed in any circumstances! Plenty of people just threw torts together; and some survived, old timers as you call the own great shell collections! I lost more than a few by not being more prudent in my early days. I wish that someone had more clearly directed me. Good luck for real!

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Georgia
If you really understand the biology of the tortoises you keep this discussion is a nonissue.

I can write a book on the mechanics of species interaction aka mixing species.

elegans said:
Yeah it is actually good advise. There is no down side if done properly. I routinely "deworm" my outside tortoises every year. Most good keepers that I know do the same. So the fact is that the tortoises in question have "possibly" been exposed to some pathogen. Agreed? It is easier and cheaper to just assume that they have it than check to see. As it is also entirely possible for your vet tech to check for something and miss it anyway. New World and Old World Tortoises should never be mixed in any circumstances! Plenty of people just threw torts together; and some survived, old timers as you call the own great shell collections! I lost more than a few by not being more prudent in my early days. I wish that someone had more clearly directed me. Good luck for real!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Elegans - so you consider "pathogens" the same as 'worms' or 'parasites'? My concern is that by killing off the good \ natural flora in the torts system, you may actually reduce it's natural ability to fight off some harmful pathogens and risk an opportunistic infection. But again, I'm not sure on this. Just thining outloud and hoping others with more experience can chime in.

EJ - $1000 seems high to me for a fecal check. And I'm lucky that in our area here, we have a few well respected tort vets. But I agree that many vets give out advice on par with the typical big chain pet shop employee...

Status
Not open for further replies.