First redfoot tortoise advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

TChrisT

5 Year Member
Hi, I'm new and I would really llike to get a redfoot. I have researched them and I really like them. I have 2 questions though:
I haven't had a tortoise before so would a redfoot be too hard for a beginner ?
And would a redfoot be O.K. Living inside mainly with a few visits outside ( I live in the U.K. so hot weather isn't too common.).

Any advice would be great and thanks in advance.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Hi! We are new redfoot owners as well (since September). They are not hard, but here's the thing. In the beginning it can be overwhelming to set up, but once you have the right components in place (habitat, heat, ground cover, proper nutrition, and UVB bulb) they are easy & happy, and fun to have around. I recently made the mistake of "off-balancing" our baby redfoot, but once we adjusted, all was well. Redfoots are ok inside, but you must get a UVB bulb for their health. As often as you can take it outside, that would be a bonus. I've referred to this care sheet often, and have even talked with the owner on the phone...very informative! http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
You're welcome! If you read turtletary's care sheet - he really emphasized his disagreement with the UVB bulb, and I get what's he's saying because redfoots really don't like bright light since they're forest floor animals, but we too have ours inside and her shell's bottom got soft - and all the wonderful people here encouraged me to get a UVB bulb (and even Tary when I told him what's going on) so I got a low light UVB bulb and she really doesn't mind it at all.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! A redfooted tortoise is a great tortoise for somebody new to the entire tortoise world. Plus they are quite pretty aren't they? Most folks keep all their young tortoises inside with just visits outside. A redfooted tortoise, because of it's lower need for the UVB, is one of the better ones to have as inside living with outside time as weather allows tortoises. I am sure you will be able to find more days he can be outside then you might think. :) The more time outside of course the better.

TChrisT

5 Year Member
Thanks
One last thing, would a table or vivarium be better for a redfoot because people say different things?

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
I don't know what a "vivarium" is. All I know is that glass is not a good thing. We have a wood enclosure, but I've heard many have rubbermaid or other enclosures. If you live in a place with a dry environment, having something that can be put on top so when you mist to add humidity, it won't dry out quickly. Redfoots need humid environments.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Glass will work too. It's more the fact that you need spread out actual footage rather then height and most glass tanks fail on that (plus they can be more costly and heavier/easier to break). Over all I would go with a table, since you can usually get more usable space out of one, even having a second floor.

Redfoot Micah

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Jacqui said:
Glass will work too. It's more the fact that you need spread out actual footage rather then height and most glass tanks fail on that (plus they can be more costly and heavier/easier to break). Over all I would go with a table, since you can usually get more usable space out of one, even having a second floor.

Oh, Ok - I didn't know that...thanks for the clarification, Jacqui!

immayo

5 Year Member
Mesa, AZ
Redfoots are awesome!! They were my first choice as well, I say if you really want one go for it! I personally didn't see the point in getting a tortoise I didn't want just because it was considered a beginner one. Redfoots don't seem that difficult to care for as long as you have heat, humidity, and the right diet. You can spray the tank a couple times daily for moisture or invest in a humidifier. Were you planning on buying a hatchling? If so you can get away with a smaller enclosure but be aware they will grow to about 4inches in the first year. When I got my baby I started him out in a 20gal glass enclosure but have recently moved him to a much larger tort table (he's about 10months now). I have noticed the glass enclosure was much easier to keep the humidity up but the downside is you may have to cover some of the walls so your new tort doesn't flip trying to climb them. Also, the glass tanks you can buy at the pet store seem way more pricey than building your own wood one. My new one cost about the same and is about 4 times the size! haha I hope you are happy with your choice and feel free to ask any questions! There are plenty of redfoot enthusiasts here to help you! :D

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
First off, a red foot is a wonderful tortoise. But if its going to be living inside year round, you need to ask yourself a serious question: how much space can you provide? For an adult, anything less then 10x10 is basically cruel. So, in the long run, you MUST BE PREPARED.
Secondly, red foots do not have a lower need for UVB. Tortoises need sunlight for two things: warmth, and UVB. Warmth is obviously thermoregulation...UVB is used to make D3, which in turn binds to calcium. Without it, you have serious MBD (Metabolic bone disease) and eventual death. Every tortoise, no matter the species, needs UVB to produce the needed D3. You can't supplement this d3.
Every tortoise needs the same amount of d3 needed to metabolize the same amount of food. So, if a sulcata and a red foot eat the same amount, they need the same amount of d3 (and thus UVB) to metabolize it. There is no evidence out there (and will never be) that says they need less UVB. Now, in the wild, there are some species (say, erosa hinge backs) that eat fish or other meats which have the needed d3. This might lessen the need for UVB a little...But we don't provide the same in captivity. So, a red foot needs the same amount of UVB; there is no lesser need.

Honestly, I would go for a brazilian cherry head other then a regular red foot. They are often prettier, and sometimes stay smaller, more around 8-9" (not always though) where-as red foots get 13-14" (don't be confused, a red foot and a cherry head are the same species, just different localities).
So, just be weary, if you plan on keeping it indoors year round...You will need a whole room devoted to it. Some kind of liner to water-proof things. Fill it with top-soil, mulch, bushes. Not to mention, you will have to have it basically an enclosed biosphere to mantain a stable 80% humidity...A couple UVB lights across the ceiling. Just be prepared for what you will have to do in the coming next 6-7 years. In the long run, your talking about over a thousand dollars here. Sorry for making this sound so extreme, but you need to be prepared for the commitment your taking on.
Otherwise, red foots are wonderful. Friendly, VERY smart, affectionate even. I, and many other keepers, love them. If you really commit to it, you can give it a wonderful life, no matter where you live.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Hi.
Fellow UK keeper here. They can go out above 15 degrees celsius. Inside, a vivarium is probably better for holding humidity than a table.

TChrisT

5 Year Member
RedfootsRule said:
First off, a red foot is a wonderful tortoise. But if its going to be living inside year round, you need to ask yourself a serious question: how much space can you provide? For an adult, anything less then 10x10 is basically cruel. So, in the long run, you MUST BE PREPARED.
Secondly, red foots do not have a lower need for UVB. Tortoises need sunlight for two things: warmth, and UVB. Warmth is obviously thermoregulation...UVB is used to make D3, which in turn binds to calcium. Without it, you have serious MBD (Metabolic bone disease) and eventual death. Every tortoise, no matter the species, needs UVB to produce the needed D3. You can't supplement this d3.
Every tortoise needs the same amount of d3 needed to metabolize the same amount of food. So, if a sulcata and a red foot eat the same amount, they need the same amount of d3 (and thus UVB) to metabolize it. There is no evidence out there (and will never be) that says they need less UVB. Now, in the wild, there are some species (say, erosa hinge backs) that eat fish or other meats which have the needed d3. This might lessen the need for UVB a little...But we don't provide the same in captivity. So, a red foot needs the same amount of UVB; there is no lesser need.

Honestly, I would go for a brazilian cherry head other then a regular red foot. They are often prettier, and sometimes stay smaller, more around 8-9" (not always though) where-as red foots get 13-14" (don't be confused, a red foot and a cherry head are the same species, just different localities).
So, just be weary, if you plan on keeping it indoors year round...You will need a whole room devoted to it. Some kind of liner to water-proof things. Fill it with top-soil, mulch, bushes. Not to mention, you will have to have it basically an enclosed biosphere to mantain a stable 80% humidity...A couple UVB lights across the ceiling. Just be prepared for what you will have to do in the coming next 6-7 years. In the long run, your talking about over a thousand dollars here. Sorry for making this sound so extreme, but you need to be prepared for the commitment your taking on.
Otherwise, red foots are wonderful. Friendly, VERY smart, affectionate even. I, and many other keepers, love them. If you really commit to it, you can give it a wonderful life, no matter where you live.

Thanks I will look for the Brazilian cherry heads and thanks everyone.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
There is also some care information in the Tortoise Library, linked in my signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.