First Time Buyer Needs Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley

5 Year Member
I am a first time buyer and I am hoping for some advice to get our first tortoise.

We live in Vermont, and the weather here is pretty terrible so a tortoise wouldn't be able to go out often, and especially not in the winter.

We also need advice on where to buy our tortoise, online would be best because we are in a location that doesn't often have tortoises for sale. We are also hoping that we could have advice on the enclosure for it and a place to get the enclosure. We actually thought would it be possible to allow the tortoise to roam around the house and use a food/water dish as well as a type of litter box? Or could we set up a room for it if that wasn't feasible? (We have 2 pretty much unused rooms.

We also need to know which type of tortoise would be best for beginners, we have no cats or dogs, but we do have whites-tree frogs, and plan to get some bearded dragons in the near future.

Thanks for the advice!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Smiley, and welcome to the Forum! What a welcome, huh? A post that doesn't show up.

Folks using other devices besides a computer sometimes have this "undefined" problem. I don't know what causes it, but if you can use a regular computer, it will probably post ok.

There is a good thread for first time tortoise-keepers here:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-22635.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. I would pick a species you like and then dedicate one of your rooms to it and set up the environmental conditions to suit the species you choose. For example: Warm and humid for a redfoot, or hot and drier during the day for a russian with a substantial temp drop at night.

Letting them roam the house is never a good idea, but giving them their own dedicated room is actually pretty neat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I agree with Tom. I think you can have any tortoise you want if you have the room and means ($$) to provide for it properly. As for a good starter tortoise, the Russian and hermanns are always a good first tort. The room idea would be great, but not the whole house, too many things that can hurt them. They won't use a litter box. You can line the room floor with plastic or if its wood, seal any seams and paint on a water proof sealer. Good luck

Lstrayer92

5 Year Member
Hi I just ordered my second tort off of LLLREPTILE and they seem like a great company!

Status
Not open for further replies.