First time depressed sulcata tortoise owner

Cheeto

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hello, I’m simply going by Cheeto on here, I’m from California and just last year my father surprised my family with a baby sulcata tortoise, we named him tortilla. Just recently a couple days ago tortilla passed. I’m so sad so incredibly sad, it’s a pain I’ve never felt I’ve never had a pet die. For my baby sulcata to be the first one to go when I thought he was going to be the one with me for all my life is killing me. I decided to join this because I keep coming back to this site since his death, I keep wanting to know why and how, I know now it was vitamin deficiency. I just wanted to join because I’m experiencing so much heartache and maybe this will help others so they don’t end up like my boy and me crying every night so far.

Cheeto

California
Hello, I’m simply going by Cheeto on here, I’m from California and just last year my father surprised my family with a baby sulcata tortoise, we named him tortilla. Just recently a couple days ago tortilla passed. I’m so sad so incredibly sad, it’s a pain I’ve never felt I’ve never had a pet die. For my baby sulcata to be the first one to go when I thought he was going to be the one with me for all my life is killing me. I decided to join this because I keep coming back to this site since his death, I keep wanting to know why and how, I know now it was vitamin deficiency. I just wanted to join because I’m experiencing so much heartache and maybe this will help others so they don’t end up like my boy and me crying every night so far.
Also I’m sorry if this is so gloomy, but seeing everyone on here have so much love for their tortoises like I did mine is helpful. But I do think this place is so vital to caring for a tortoise and I found it too late...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Also I’m sorry if this is so gloomy, but seeing everyone on here have so much love for their tortoises like I did mine is helpful. But I do think this place is so vital to caring for a tortoise and I found it too late...
So sorry to hear this. It is a feeling that weighs heavy on your heart as well as all of us that has had a loss....again, I am sorry.

Cheeto

California
So sorry to hear this. It is a feeling that weighs heavy on your heart as well as all of us that has had a loss....again, I am sorry.
It’s so painful, I miss him so much, everything just feels so empty and out of place. Thank you and I’m sorry if you’ve ever experienced this..

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome and condolences. When they are young it is crucial to care for them correctly.
I lucked out because I was doing everything wrong and it was 3 months before I found TFO. My sully made it and is healthy thanks to the members here.
Sad but pet stores don't know how to care for them and gave me and many members bad advice.
Time heals everything and hopefully you will try again.
Just thinking about losing my Opo would be devastating.
I hope you stay strong and don't beat yourself up. You have all of us here for you.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
It’s so painful, I miss him so much, everything just feels so empty and out of place. Thank you and I’m sorry if you’ve ever experienced this..

You know, I am no expert on anything :)

I recently had a conversation with my Mom. There is a stray cat that lives here on my property that was an offspring from a female cat that was left behind by a neighbor some time ago.

So, about a year ago I pulled 6 kittens from the brakes/tires in my sons car ,(they were so tiny and could not run from me if they wanted to as they were so young) apparently the Mother tried to put them in what she thought was a "safe" place....I was on my way to Laughlin for a few days....but could not leave until they were pulled to safety, well the best I could assist anyway.

Cut to the chase....my Mother has since refused to get close to any of those 6 kittens, now a year old and still come to the porch each morning and night for a pet and food....my Mother indicated to me that she does not want to get close to them for fear of when and if they should die....you know, with life comes death--there is no way around it.

I explained to her that she is cheating herself as well as those critters....I mean, she is here, they are here...make happy and offer hugs and pets and enjoy one another...I mean passing is going to happen...it is what occurs from the start to the end. Why not offer up good and get it in return. Why punish yourself and them for a part of life that will happen, period?

So, while I know it hurts to lose a loved one...it sure is Grand to know those feelings while they happen. Don't cheat yourself nor the creature the awesomeness of contact, love and care for fear of what is part of life.

I mean, you likely have fond memories and I am pretty confident that creature was pleased as well :)

When I feel sad, I try to wrangle those feelings and make a choice to remember what was a good thing and swing out of it....I hope you can, as time goes on, do something of the like as well....

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

I recently had a conversation with my Mom. There is a stray cat that lives here on my property that was an offspring from a female cat that was left behind by a neighbor some time ago.

So, about a year ago I pulled 6 kittens from the brakes/tires in my sons car ,(they were so tiny and could not run from me if they wanted to as they were so young) apparently the Mother tried to put them in what she thought was a "safe" place....I was on my way to Laughlin for a few days....but could not leave until they were pulled to safety, well the best I could assist anyway.

Cut to the chase....my Mother has since refused to get close to any of those 6 kittens, now a year old and still come to the porch each morning and night for a pet and food....my Mother indicated to me that she does not want to get close to them for fear of when and if they should die....you know, with life comes death--there is no way around it.

I explained to her that she is cheating herself as well as those critters....I mean, she is here, they are here...make happy and offer hugs and pets and enjoy one another...I mean passing is going to happen...it is what occurs from the start to the end. Why not offer up good and get it in return. Why punish yourself and them for a part of life that will happen, period?

So, while I know it hurts to lose a loved one...it sure is Grand to know those feelings while they happen. Don't cheat yourself nor the creature the awesomeness of contact, love and care for fear of what is part of life.

I mean, you likely have fond memories and I am pretty confident that creature was pleased as well :)

When I feel sad, I try to wrangle those feelings and make a choice to remember what was a good thing and swing out of it....I hope you can, as time goes on, do something of the like as well....
That was wonderful!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
So sorry for your loss, but please don't blame yourself.
The only real way you can know what happened is if a necropsy is performed, but you obviously loved your tort and I'm sure you did your best for the tort while he was with you.
Torts don't come with instruction manuals and there is much more to keeping a tortoise than people think.
There is also a lot of bad out of date advice out there in books, on other websites and from pet stores etc., so it's difficult to know what to do, but the TFO has up to date information from very experienced keepers which helps us all with its great caresheets for most species of torts and support.
It is shame you found TFO too late but now you have you will be able to make sure you are better prepared if you decide to give another tort home.
Take care.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
The only real way you can know what happened is if a necropsy is performed, but you obviously loved your tort and I'm sure you did your best for the tort while he was with you.
Torts don't come with instruction manuals and there is much more to keeping a tortoise than people think.
There is also a lot of bad out of date advice out there in books, on other websites and from pet stores etc., so it's difficult to know what to do, but the TFO has up to date information from very experienced keepers which helps us all with its great caresheets for most species of torts and support.
It is shame you found TFO too late but now you have you will be able to make sure you are better prepared if you decide to give another tort home.
Take care.
PS Although it is very hard for you now and you'll never forget your little tort, it does get easier with time.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I keep wanting to know why and how, I know now it was vitamin deficiency.

Hello and welcome.

It is very unlikely that vitamin deficiency had anything to do with Tortilla's passing. The problem is that the vast majority of the people breeding and selling this species have been doing it all wrong for decades. They keep them too dry, often too cool, and treat them like a desert species, which they are NOT.

Read this and see if if sounds like what happened in your case:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Now for comparison sake, read this one to see how it should be done:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

If you want to learn even more about how to care for and raise this species, take a look at these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Cheeto

California
Welcome and condolences. When they are young it is crucial to care for them correctly.
I lucked out because I was doing everything wrong and it was 3 months before I found TFO. My sully made it and is healthy thanks to the members here.
Sad but pet stores don't know how to care for them and gave me and many members bad advice.
Time heals everything and hopefully you will try again.
Just thinking about losing my Opo would be devastating.
I hope you stay strong and don't beat yourself up. You have all of us here for you.
You’re incredibly lucky, so happy to know your baby survived. Yes, there was so much information from what we thought were credible sources but it was all misleading, thank you so much, I am trying to be strong and this forum is helping. Thank you

Cheeto

California

What a wonderful story, it really warms my heart to hear this. I will never give up on giving as much love as I can to animals and my baby tort passing is fueling me to do better and more especially when they are in need and to find proper places like this and learn. It hurts a lot and has changed my views on death immensly, it’s so fresh still but I’m navigating my way to continue giving this love I have for our animals out and to not be discouraged from having a tort again. Thank you so much for your words, honestly so kind and beautiful and is helping me understand and cope. Thank you, you have a beautiful heart

Cheeto

California
Hello and welcome.

It is very unlikely that vitamin deficiency had anything to do with Tortilla's passing. The problem is that the vast majority of the people breeding and selling this species have been doing it all wrong for decades. They keep them too dry, often too cool, and treat them like a desert species, which they are NOT.

Read this and see if if sounds like what happened in your case:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

Now for comparison sake, read this one to see how it should be done:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

If you want to learn even more about how to care for and raise this species, take a look at these:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
Wow, reading these links, the first one is exactly what happened. My father bought him from a website I don’t know the name but it’s a breeder out in Florida I’m sure. He came to us seemingly healthy in a Tupperware like bowl with holes, we had our set up ready but around September- October he started sleeping and we were told he would hibernate, looking online I found that sulcatas don’t hibernate but our friend who has tortoises insisted they do and as did the breeders and several sites so he slept so long and we were told when he was ready he would start walking around more and opening his eyes. We were told that the heat was more crucial and to always keep him in the heat, weren’t told anything about moisture or humidity. That he can go very long periods without eating and that it was no alarm. It was just a heap of misleading information i just wish i found this place sooner... so many answers here. Thank you

Cheeto

California
Take care.
Thank you so much, I’ve just been struggling with this loss, it’s still so fresh and it’s a brand new pain I have never felt. I loved him immensly and was so badly informed by what i thought were people who knew and so many wrong sources, this site is incredible and i have no stopped looking through it since I found it after his passing, i just joined for help in understanding and grieving and also in hopes others won’t experience the same. Thank you so much for your kind words, i hope to maybe get another tort one day and honor the life of my lost baby with the celebration and care of a new one some day. Take care also and again thank you

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You’re incredibly lucky, so happy to know your baby survived. Yes, there was so much information from what we thought were credible sources but it was all misleading, thank you so much, I am trying to be strong and this forum is helping. Thank you
I want to second what Tom said. The seller or breeder may not have cared for your tort correctly. He may have been in bad shape from the get. There are good breeders here that raise them correctly. I am not a breeder lol.
Hope you try again. If you do get your enclosure all set before buying .Then research some breeder's.