First time outside and didn’t seem happy

lisakate

Location (City and/or State)
Welwyn Garden City
Hi. My 18 month old hermann tortoise LOTTIE had her first experience outside in her (?) new enclosure and stayed in her hide all afternoon. She wouldn’t eat anything when I tried to feed her but as soon as she got back indoors she ate and basked.
I thought she would love it out in the sunshine!!
Do they take a while to get used to it ?

Polli

Latour Bas Elne, France
Hello. My Taco took a while to get used to her garden area, and your Lottie is still very young - give her ? time. You will probably get better answers from more experienced users of the Forum. All the best

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Id say it all takes time. Torts don’t like things changing on them. You took it from its only home it recognizes, food, heat, hide, water & relocated it to a totally new area. It needs time to feel safe again. To feel safe, where food, water, heat, sunshine etc are good. And no big predators are lurking in the area to gobble it up.

Given some time, it will soon realize it’s safe to be in this new area.

lisakate

Welwyn Garden City
Thank you Poli. Yes Tom said the same. I think I was just a bit more excited than she was!!!
Next sunny day we will try again
Hello. My Taco took a while to get used to her garden area, and your Lottie is still very young - give her ? time. You will probably get better answers from more experienced users of the Forum. All the best

lisakate

Welwyn Garden City
Id say it all takes time. Torts don’t like things changing on them. You took it from its only home it recognizes, food, heat, hide, water & relocated it to a totally new area. It needs time to feel safe again. To feel safe, where food, water, heat, sunshine etc are good. And no big predators are lurking in the area to gobble it up.

Given some time, it will soon realize it’s safe to be in this new area.
I am very happy to sit looking at the hide for 5 hours in sunshine for as long as it takes now I know I’m not stressing her out. Thank you

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi. My 18 month old hermann tortoise LOTTIE had her first experience outside in her (?) new enclosure and stayed in her hide all afternoon. She wouldn’t eat anything when I tried to feed her but as soon as she got back indoors she ate and basked.
I thought she would love it out in the sunshine!!
Do they take a while to get used to it ?
Yes it will take a while to get used to. You basically took her out of her safe, comfortable, predator free home and dropped her in an unknown, scary place. She will probably mostly hide at first. Give it some time.

Polli

Latour Bas Elne, France
Thank you Poli. Yes Tom said the same. I think I was just a bit more excited than she was!!!
Next sunny day we will try again
My sister lives in Welwyn Garden City so I was even more in your question ? she told me you had a hot day yesterday. Lottie will grow to love her outside enclosure, make sure she has some shady areas though.