First Time Owner from San Diego

Mercy FBR

Hello! I am a first time owner from East County San Diego. We just got our new leopard tortoise yesterday, and I've done a little bit of research (both on this website and a couple others) on what I should be feeding him and other odd bits.

As I said, I did a little bit, so I learned that our guy has a bad pyramid problem. :( But now that he's with us, I'm going to make sure he gets the care he deserves (I'm already taking steps to prevent future pyramiding). Luckily he's still young.

I guess my big question is are these three grasses good enough for him? I've read the food lists, and honestly there's so much in there... I know I *can* feed it to him, but is it good enough? Do I need more variety? Or should this suffice?

-Blue Grama
-Buffalo Grass
-Northern Dropseed

And I'm probably going to also pick up some fescue and/or bluegrass.

I do intend on giving him other things as well - the hibiscus, flowers, etc - but I'm trying to get the major staple down before I go out and buy the seeds to grow in his enclosure. Until they grow enough, I was going to offer a meadow or orchard grass mix (hopefully the feed store has some in bulk...).

Attachments

• IMG_20140620_082508_095.jpg
    IMG_20140620_082508_095.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20140620_082520_989.jpg
    IMG_20140620_082520_989.jpg
    289.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20140620_082657_894.jpg
    IMG_20140620_082657_894.jpg
    273.7 KB · Views: 35

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

I've been told that leopard tortoises prefer broad-leaf weeds and plants to grass, however, my leopard yard is mostly bermuda grass and they eat it just fine. As long as you're planting, add some clover seeds to the mix and maybe a bit of dichondra.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

yillt

Welcome. That is CERTAINLY pyramiding. But it can be prevented. I am sure he is delighted to be with you and you will do all you can to prevent further pyramiding. :);)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Welcome to the wonderful world of Leopard tortoise ownership! And TFO ;)

He does have bad pyramiding but that's from his past. Don't worry about it. You can't change it and at this size, there wouldn't be much you can do to change that look. How long is he front to back? He looks large enough to live outside full time. Offer a water source at all times and give him a weekly soak to ensure hydration. Research how to build him a heated, insulated tortoise house and make sure his yard is heavily planted with foods and some bushes for shade.

My Leopards prefer weeds over grass anyday! Start learning to ID local weeds and google "African tortoise edible landscaping" for an awesome, categorized list of good foods to feed.

:) :tort:

Mercy FBR

Welcome to the wonderful world of Leopard tortoise ownership! And TFO ;)

He does have bad pyramiding but that's from his past. Don't worry about it. You can't change it and at this size, there wouldn't be much you can do to change that look. How long is he front to back? He looks large enough to live outside full time. Offer a water source at all times and give him a weekly soak to ensure hydration. Research how to build him a heated, insulated tortoise house and make sure his yard is heavily planted with foods and some bushes for shade.

My Leopards prefer weeds over grass anyday! Start learning to ID local weeds and google "African tortoise edible landscaping" for an awesome, categorized list of good foods to feed.

:) :tort:

He's about the size of a half sheet of paper. And I believe he's between 2 and 3 years old. I'm just glad he is young and probably won't have the major shell problems later in life. He does have an outdoors enclosure (It's pretty bare right now - working on it. We weren't expecting to add him to our house of many pets just yet), but we haven't made the lid yet so I'm bringing him in at night til its done.

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello Mercy and Welcome. Good to have you here.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Mercy welcome to the TFO fromAZ . Leopards are a great tort , but like Lays chips very addicting . ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403331762.168059.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Ah another fellow San Diegan :) welcome to the elite club of tortoise husbandry! He does have pyramiding going on but that won't stop him from having a great life with you if you continue to raise him properly! I suggest you listen to the advice given above and also research research research! Take care of him well and I bet he'll be happy to be owned by you! Let me know if you need anything neighbor!

Oh and dandelion weeds and hibiscus are the way to go! But of course there are a lot of things you can feed the little guy.

Mercy FBR

Oh and dandelion weeds and hibiscus are the way to go! But of course there are a lot of things you can feed the little guy.

I'm planning on going out shopping today for a hibiscus and some calcium powder. I picked him up some Orchard hay yesterday, but I'm not sure he'll eat it. He came from a diet of solely Romaine Lettuce.

Mercy FBR

That article, among others on TFO, is what influenced me to join. Some left me with additional questions, and I knew this was the best resource for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Regular leopards (as opposed to the South African ones) will certainly eat grass, but their diet needs to include lots of broadleaf weeds, leaves and hopefully some succulents. Grapevines, spineless opuntia cactus pads, mulberry leaves, hibiscus leaves, as well as lots of weeds will give you a happy healthy leopard tortoise. Here is a thread I made for sulcatas. All the same stuff is good for leopards, I just put much less emphasis on grass: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Mercy FBR

Baja ate yesterday, but I am not sure if he ate today... As I said, he's come from a diet of only Romaine Lettuce. He opened his mouth like he was going to try to eat a hibiscus leaf today, but he didn't actually take it. My worry is that he won't cope to the change in food...

Which leads to my questions: Should I still offer the Romaine (I don't want toooooo) and wean him off of it gradually? Or should I not offer it and see if he'll take the food? If he doesn't eat, when should I start to worry? I know one day isn't too bad (I saw some people on here say they do a day off sometimes).

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Hello from North County and welcome to the Forum. Most tortoises go through a transition period when they are moved to a new home. They seem to all stop eating, pooping, and are less active for a while. So, if he doesn't eat for a day or so don't be worried. It may have nothing to do with the foods you are offering. I would stop feeding the romaine and offer endive, escarole, kale, maybe turnips or collard instead. Then, as you get his pen planted with weeds and grasses that he likes you can phase those out and be less dependent on grocery store greens. Mulberry leaves are plentiful right now, as are opuntia cactus. Be selective about where you harvest them from. I stay away from anything near the roadways (at least a heavily traveled one). Mulberry and grape leaves, along with cactus are great sources for calcium and fiber. He will adapt to his new diet in no time.