First time owner of a hingeback belliana

Wgina32

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello !!
So I recently acquired a Hingeback Kinkxys Belliana tortoise ?

Any advice would be helpful ! I was looking for a pet for my son. I went to a pet shop and purchased a hingeback. They didnt really have any knowledge and I got so stressed out I tried return him the next day and they refused to let me return him, I just felt like i didnt have enough knowledge to properly care for him. My son has named him Shelton.

After much research I have a 40 gallon tank and uv light and heat lamp and a heat pad, ECT.
He will eat his greens but refuses everything else except strawberries HE LOVES ?

Its been 4 weeks and he has FINALLY POOPED! during a bath.

Any advise any knowledge on him would be so helpful to ensure that I am caring for him as best as possible

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
hello and welcome! We have a care sheet for hingeback tortoises here:
and here:

I would suggest to return the 40g and get something bigger, as tortoises tend to roam a lot more than we might think. You can get something fairly cheap but satisfactory like a small indoor greenhouse instead. Large plastic bins can also be larger than a 40g.

Could you show a pic of your lamp and uv light? It is best to make sure the light will not damage their eyes as some do.

You should return the heat pad as well because tortoises generally like heat from above and not below. The pads could potentially cause burns.

How often do you soak? And feed? It's great to hear the bowels are working

Let me know if you have any questions on this!

Wgina32

Oregon
and here:

I would suggest to return the 40g and get something bigger, as tortoises tend to roam a lot more than we might think. You can get something fairly cheap but satisfactory like a small indoor greenhouse instead. Large plastic bins can also be larger than a 40g.

Could you show a pic of your lamp and uv light? It is best to make sure the light will not damage their eyes as some do.

You should return the heat pad as well because tortoises generally like heat from above and not below. The pads could potentially cause burns.

He (could be a she I'm not sure) is 4-5. Years old is what the pet shop told me .. The biggest tank they had was a 40 gallon .. I did look up some info on the enclosures and was looking into the bigger plastic ones.. I will attach a photo of the light ( its a smaller uv5 bulb in a deep dome holder. He is coming out of his log more and more which is nice.. He mostly eats his greens mustard greens seem to be his favorite. This was the second time I have soaked him since we've had him. I read to soak him weekly but I'm wondering if I should more often. Sometimes he stands I'm his water in the tank as he eats lol. I put fresh food in his tank everyday he will come out atleast 2 or 3 times and eat

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Glass tanks are way more expensive then large plastic tubs.

Wgina32

Oregon
and here:

Attachments

• 20201224_142527.jpg
    20201224_142527.jpg
    478.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210106_190721.jpg
    20210106_190721.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210107_083235.jpg
    20210107_083235.jpg
    699.1 KB · Views: 30

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts

I think your UV light is probably one that damages the eyes (usually the ones that require a dome):
Exo Terra Tropical UVB 100 Reptile Lamp, slide 1 of 4 Slide 2 of 4 and

Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB Compact Fluorescent Mini Reptile Lamp, slide 1 of 4

are not good. You will want a tube UV like this instead: https://www.chewy.com/zoo-med-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho/dp/257675

If you need more heat in there, I would suggest buying a ceramic heat emitter - a bulb you can use in that dome you took a picture of, but it only emits heat and no light. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F9CV7K/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

You will probably want this on a thermostat so it turns off whenever the heat requirements are met.

for enclosures I would suggest something like this:
51gzz0JmerL._AC_US40_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LSFL2PY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

or the plastic bin route:
Rubbermaid 50 Gallon Roughneck️ Storage Tote Durable, Reusable, Plastic Storage Bin
Rubbermaid 50 Gallon Roughneck️ Storage Tote Durable, Reusable, Plastic Storage Bin

For soaking I would suggest 2-3x a week. This is for regular bowel movements (they usually poop in the soak water) and to keep your enclosure clean for the most part. I soak my tortoise 3x a week and she never poops in her enclosure.

Last edited:

Wgina32

Oregon
yes! You can get cuttlebone for calcium or some powdered calcium/d3 supplementation to sprinkle on the tortoises food 2-3x a week
Ok good ive been doing the calcium powder.. What fruits and veggies do they most prefer I also say they eat worms lime earth worms

Wgina32

Oregon
So anytime I take him out to roam he Pee's like alot.. Is that normal ? I also read that It can take them a long while to accumulate to a new home

Wgina32

Oregon
Thank you. Do you know how to tell the gender? I was told he is 4-5 years old. The pet shop I got him from didnt really have any info on Hingebacks they just assumed regular turtle care. Also what would the best substrate to use in his enclosure ? I also read that they will eat worms ?

Attachments

• 20210117_095038.jpg
    20210117_095038.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210117_095054.jpg
    20210117_095054.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 18

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I'd say the guess of 4-5 years is likely pretty good and it looks like you have a boy on your hands from the long fat tail. Substrate I use is either coco fiber or Reptibark. Coco fiber is messy stuff but both hold moisture pretty well to keep up the humidity. I'm thinking of mixing them together in the future. Many tortoises will relieve themselves when they are scared or upset but it's also a hopeful sign that there are water reserves there and your tortoise is not dehydrated. Keeping him supported underneath with your hand or a container he'll feel more secure. Since yours is new I would still recommend soaking every day for 40-60 minutes for at least a month in warm water.

Wgina32

Oregon
Yes I usually dont hold him like that, it was just for the picture. I have been giving him a good long soak every other day, I will try and do it everyday. Yes I was thinking of mixing the substrate .. Right now I have the reptibark but I agree adding the cocofiber it seems the reptibark alot doesnt seem like it holds moisture as good.. You said you were in Oregon right? Where do you get most of your food for yours? I saw a website that sells like a bundle of different types of plants and stuff I was thinking of ordering from kapodolofarms I think is what it was called.. I wasnt sure where to find like worms and snail and proteins that hingbacks eat. Thank you for your responses its MUCH APPRECIATED

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Yes I usually dont hold him like that, it was just for the picture. I have been giving him a good long soak every other day, I will try and do it everyday. Yes I was thinking of mixing the substrate .. Right now I have the reptibark but I agree adding the cocofiber it seems the reptibark alot doesnt seem like it holds moisture as good.. You said you were in Oregon right? Where do you get most of your food for yours? I saw a website that sells like a bundle of different types of plants and stuff I was thinking of ordering from kapodolofarms I think is what it was called.. I wasnt sure where to find like worms and snail and proteins that hingbacks eat. Thank you for your responses its MUCH APPRECIATED

Hi again; Can't remember what I said in PM but wondering how is your tortoise doing and what is it eating(hopefully)?

Wgina32

Oregon
Hi again; Can't remember what I said in PM but wondering how is your tortoise doing and what is it eating(hopefully)?
[/QUOTE

Honestly all is good.. My little guy eats on his usual schedule each day I bath him every other day sometimes I may skip a day.. He LOVES a spring mix and mushrooms.. I give him a tiny bit of strawberry's as a treat every once in a while..he comes out super fast for those lol. He is not a fan of the cuddlebone or any proteins ive tried giving him , I do sprinkle calcium powerdwe every few days on his food.... He hates the tortoise food pellets mushed up.. He seems to be ok .. Ive had him since mid December and so far so good ?I've been using a mix of bedding I think he likes.. Hes the happiest and most active after a bath he will walk around nonstop for a long while after his baths ?