First time Owner

Mikki

Location (City and/or State)
Spring Hill, Fl
My name is Michelle and this is my little one.. I do have Scooter established with an exotic Veterinarian already. I got Scooter on June. Scooter is an extremely picky eater.. Right now I chop up grass in with greens so Scooter gets those nutrients they get from grass. I use to have to mix Mazuri on with the greens of grass was mixed in just so Scooter would eat it but now i don't have to do that & I'm hoping eventually Scooter will eat grass on her own. ( YES i call Scooter a she because that's what I'm hoping for). Any way I do give Scooter Mazuri LS ama once in a while the larger pellet. I use teff pellets as well. I took Scooter to the Vet about a month ago because Scooter was opening her mouth a lot and i was afraid are was getting sick. Once there the Vet looked down her throat and told me the hay was irritating her throat and to stop giving the hay until she's older. I use to wet Romaine and roll it in the shake off the hay so Scooter was eating the lettuce and the hay that was stuck on the hay. Teff hay is very very fine so once in a while i soak it and mix it in with the Mazuri. In this mornings dish you see Scooter eating was Dandelion green, green leaf lettuce, zucchini & bok choy leaf and grass all chopped up.. I don't know if i should give did much in one dish but i like to make Scooter a salad. I feed Scooter in the morning at 9:00 and afternoon by 5:00. In between feedings scooter loves wandering jew purple flowers, polka dotted plant leaves, mexican petunia flower and wild evening primrose flower. Scooter HATES hibiscus which i have two huge hibiscus plant that now look like a tree. I have a 20ft cactus pear which Scooter loves but i haven't given the fruit on it just the pad. I soak Scooter every day for at least 5 minutes but for 15-20 minutes every other day. I have an outdoor enclosure that's above ground and predator proof that Scooter is in all day from 10:00Am to 4:30Pm. I live in Florida so Scooter gets that humid sunshine every day. I have two water dishes in the enclosure , a hide shelter, one side hay and other side organic dirt. I want to know how you think Scooter looks. On 7-3-2020 Scooter weighed 64 grams and on 9-3-2020 Scooter weighed 120 grams. Thank you all so much for any feed back..

Attachments

• 20200911_085036~2.jpg
    20200911_085036~2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 13
  • 20200911_084922~2.jpg
    20200911_084922~2.jpg
    682.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200911_084828~2.jpg
    20200911_084828~2.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 12

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
Hey ☺️ I already know you from Facebook. Welcome. I hope that some of the others here will welcome you as well. If you have any questions please ask. I’ve already seen that your care is pretty dang good so I’m not going to personally recommend anything, I already gave you the link to the care sheet but I’m sure someone will do that here as well. God your baby is so adorable ? it’s awesome that you live in such a humid environment as it makes it so much easier to have them outside.. again welcome!

Golden Greek Tortoise 567

Colorado Springs,CO
Welcome! As @BrookeB predicted, I will definitely link you the care sheet. ? One thing I will say is that I would soak Scooter ever day for at least 30 minutes.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Do you think Scooter looks dry? I will say Scooter does urinate every day during feeding time.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Hey ☺️ I already know you from Facebook. Welcome. I hope that some of the others here will welcome you as well. If you have any questions please ask. I’ve already seen that your care is pretty dang good so I’m not going to personally recommend anything, I already gave you the link to the care sheet but I’m sure someone will do that here as well. God your baby is so adorable ? it’s awesome that you live in such a humid environment as it makes it so much easier to have them outside.. again welcome!
Thank you so much!! I did have a couple different care sheets but maybe i don't have this particular one. Thank you so much again!!

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Welcome! As @BrookeB predicted, I will definitely link you the care sheet. ? One thing I will say is that I would soak Scooter ever day for at least 30 minutes.
Thank you! I absolutely will review it

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome from a fellow sully owner from Florida. When Scooter urinates is there any white paste or white sand texture in it.
If you don't know it is called urates. A well hydrated tort typically won't have it. Paste texture is better then gritty. It is a process of recycling their urine when conserving hydration.
P.S. Scooter is adorable!

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Scooter had urates for about 3 days when i first got him but I've never seen them since. I just did a post last week in a group on Facebook asking how often i should see urates because i haven't seen any in 3 months. I was worried something was wrong with the kidneys because i was not seeing any. Thank you so much for responding and giving me info on why i am not seeing any.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Scooter had urates for about 3 days when i first got him but I've never seen them since. I just did a post last week in a group on Facebook asking how often i should see urates because i haven't seen any in 3 months. I was worried something was wrong with the kidneys because i was not seeing any. Thank you so much for responding and giving me info on why i am not seeing any.
Be careful with the FB groups. There is some lunatics in them that insist on giving out ridiculous care info. They're good for sharing pictures of your tort but not so much for care info.

Mikki

Spring Hill, Fl
Well that sucks. To be honest with you I'm here because i did see on Facebook a comment made to come to this forum for info and advice because its much better than any Facebook group

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Well that sucks. To be honest with you I'm here because i did see on Facebook a comment made to come to this forum for info and advice because its much better than any Facebook group
Here we are well mannered lunatics with a passion for tortoises and helping those that want help. Welcome