First time, surprise eggs!

flaca

Location (City and/or State)
KISSIMMEE
Hi, I'm new to all this and am freaking out tonight because we had the luck to actually catch our girl laying her eggs. We have no idea how to go about this. All we know is we need an incubator, and we don't have a lot of money for one so if you could direct us in the direction of one that is well priced? the whole process? We never thought this would happen really. They mate enough though. But we just never saw her at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You can make an incubator pretty easy with a cooler and fish tank heater.

flaca

KISSIMMEE
Thank you Toddrikfl1. Looks really interesting. I looked up that I also must keep the temp 85? And mist everyday? Use vermiculite?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you Toddrikfl1. Looks really interesting. I looked up that I also must keep the temp 85? And mist everyday? Use vermiculite?
You can use vermiculite to put the eggs in. If you set the fish tank heater to 85 it will keep the whole cooler at that temp. You won't need to mist because there's already water in the bottom of the cooler keeping the humidity high. You'll need to get them setup asap though. After 24-48 hrs of them being laid if you turn them or move them to much it could kill the embryo.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I'm new to all this and am freaking out tonight because we had the luck to actually catch our girl laying her eggs. We have no idea how to go about this. All we know is we need an incubator, and we don't have a lot of money for one so if you could direct us in the direction of one that is well priced? the whole process? We never thought this would happen really. They mate enough though. But we just never saw her at it.
Read this: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

The eggs can sit in the shoe box for a week or two at room temp if needed, while you set up the incubator and get the temperature stabilized.