First time Tort Owner :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoise19

5 Year Member
Hello!

Im Tom from West Yorkshire in the UK.

Joined this forum in time for getting my new baby Horsefield tortoise at the end of March. Mind you, when I say baby he/she is nearly 2 years old!

Im looking for lots of tips and useful information.

Totally new to this and quite nervous but looking forward to learning.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Speak soon!

Tom :tort:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Welcome Tom!! How exciting... and how long this month is going to seem to you. :D Is this young beauty going to be a first tortoise ever for you?

laramie

5 Year Member
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello Tom and welcome to TFO! Do you have any pics of your baby? We love pics here.

Cheerio!:D:D

mira_kaylee

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
hmm...basic new advice for horsefield's....well, if yours is anything like mine, i would say...
1.) even though he's a desert tort, he needs a bath at least once a week. fill the water up the where the top half and bottom half of his shell meet, warm but not hot, and letting him soak for 20minutes seems to work for my tort. I list this as a tip because they will make you think that they hate the water by running away and trying to climb up the sides, but they still need baths >.>

2.) when i first got ayden, i was tempted to feed him constantly. he associated me with food and would always look to be fed whenever i came near him. he never stopped eating so long as i fed him by hand, however if i put the food in his bowl then he would slow down on the gorging.

3.) when you take him outside or let him walk around in your house, keep a close eye on him. things that you never thought would be a danger to any pet will suddenly become 1 dangerous or 2 an escape route lol.

best of luck :D

tortoise19

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
Welcome Tom!! How exciting... and how long this month is going to seem to you. :D Is this young beauty going to be a first tortoise ever for you?

Hello Jacqui!

Thanks for your message

I wanted him sooner but Im in the middle of moving house, so didn't think it was wise to have him a couple of weeks only to have to move him again!

And yep, this is my first tort - was originally going for a Redfoot but the shop I was purchasing it from didn't seem to know what they were doing and I thought I best get one from an expert....so Ive gone for a Horsefield!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Moving is a rather busy and stressful time all by itself. Have fun with it.

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Hello Tom! Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Status
Not open for further replies.