First time tortoise owner! First time posting! Regarding Humidity/Temp!

slyeel

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Hey there hope this is the right spot to post! I have had my redfoot for 10 months now and we have gone through some highs and lows of temperature! I currently have a set up I like with the CHE on the warm end over a water area at 92 and the cool side being 85 usually. The humidity levels are hard to keep up though and when I use a tank humidifier the temperatures drop 10 degrees! Would using a CHE of 100 W in my 4 foot tank instead of a 50 W be safe for the little guy and make it so the humidifier works out? Any advice would be greatly appreciated by us!

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
Hi there and welcome!
I like to keep the temperature in my enclosure 80-86 degrees throughout the entire enclosure with no basking spot. It’s been found that basking spots can dry out the shell and promote pyramiding in Redfoots which we want to avoid. Using a CHE is much better than a heat lamp so that’s great news, the light from the lamp can hurt their eyes.

when I first got my tortoise I too was having trouble maintain my humidity at +80% at all times. The reason was because I kept the top of my enclosure open so humidity escaped very fast. If you have not covered the top of your enclosure with plexiglass and made it a closed chamber yet, I would highly recommend it!

for my set up I have a closed chamber enclosure with a CHE that is connected to a thermostat and only turns on if the temp drops below 80. I live in Hawai’i so I only have to worry about this on some night time lows in the winter.

when in doubt I refer to this care sheet, it has been very helpful for me:

good luck with your tortoise!

slyeel

Toronto
Hi there and welcome!
I like to keep the temperature in my enclosure 80-86 degrees throughout the entire enclosure with no basking spot. It’s been found that basking spots can dry out the shell and promote pyramiding in Redfoots which we want to avoid. Using a CHE is much better than a heat lamp so that’s great news, the light from the lamp can hurt their eyes.

when I first got my tortoise I too was having trouble maintain my humidity at +80% at all times. The reason was because I kept the top of my enclosure open so humidity escaped very fast. If you have not covered the top of your enclosure with plexiglass and made it a closed chamber yet, I would highly recommend it!

for my set up I have a closed chamber enclosure with a CHE that is connected to a thermostat and only turns on if the temp drops below 80. I live in Hawai’i so I only have to worry about this on some night time lows in the winter.

when in doubt I refer to this care sheet, it has been very helpful for me:

good luck with your tortoise!
One question! Can you put a CHE over the plexiglass?

Dankneepowpow

Honolulu
One question! Can you put a CHE over the plexiglass?
You will definitely want to make a hole in your plexiglass if using a CHE. I made a frame with a wire mesh that attaches to my plexiglass and holds my CHE. Works like a charm!
722285BB-A446-42CC-9802-0EA0A641A4F8.jpegimage.jpg

Srmcclure

Oklahoma city
your best bet is getting a closed chamber like they said. Itll hold humidity and temps like a dream. You won't even need that humidifier! Heres my redfoots as well just to get more ideas ?
20200814_070646.jpg