First time Tortoise owner

amberleejen

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
My name is Amberlee and I am in Utah. I have been wanting to get a tortoise for a while and I finally took the plunge yesterday and got a Greek tortoise (we've named him Egon). I am extremely excited! I saw an idea online to use an old bookcase for the enclosure so my husband and I got it setup last night. I am posting the pictures. Any feedback and or tips are appreciated. The idea behind the separation is for the side with the coco fiber to be a little wet and the larger side to be completely dry. I know there is no water bowl in the pictures. I hadn't put it in yet. It is there now. I am still working on the lighting setup. The way it is shown in the pictures is temporary. Also any tips on food would be appreciated as well. Especially winter months. I have seen some conflicting info on this while doing my research. Thanks.

20180219_180126.jpg 20180219_180131.jpg 20180219_180136.jpg 20180219_180140.jpg

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome! From the picture, that looks like a Russian, not a Greek. Take a look at these links and come back with questions-
Russian Tortoise Care Sheet
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Russian-Tortoise-Care-Sheet.80698/
Beginner Mistakes
https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
How big is the enclosure?
What is the substrate? You want it to be wet, not dry. Your tort needs to be able to create its own microclimate by burrowing.
You have a very nice enclosure!

amberleejen

Utah
Hi, Tech! Thanks for the welcome. The enclosure is about 2x5. We've been spraying the substrate with a water bottle to keep it wet, but right now only over on the far right side. Should I be doing this everywhere?
And...are you sure it's Russian??!? Pet store....grrr. Going to have to rename him Ivan, now. ;)
Thanks for the help, and the links!!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to you and your adorable Russian tortoise!

I’m sure it’s right there but I can’t see the water dish?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Hi, Tech! Thanks for the welcome. The enclosure is about 2x5. We've been spraying the substrate with a water bottle to keep it wet, but right now only over on the far right side. Should I be doing this everywhere?
And...are you sure it's Russian??!? Pet store....grrr. Going to have to rename him Ivan, now. ;)
Thanks for the help, and the links!!

Yes, you should be spraying everywhere.
Sadly, that enclosure is not big enough. Your Russian needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet.
Yeah, pet stores suck :/

amberleejen

Utah
Update... I guess he's Russian :)
The enclosure is closer to 3x6, coco fiber substrate mixed with repti-bark (fir). Work in progress, trying to keep the heat at a good level. Thank you for the comments!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Update... I guess he's Russian :)
The enclosure is closer to 3x6, coco fiber substrate mixed with repti-bark (fir). Work in progress, trying to keep the heat at a good level. Thank you for the comments!

Hmm.. that’s a good mix of substrate, and good sized enclosure. I believe I’ve heard people say that 6x3 enclosures can work, so maybe someone’ll come along and say that, or just say the opposite?