First time tortoise owner

Urbanartist76

Location (City and/or State)
Bedford, Tx
Hey out there from Texas. First time tortoise owner here. My daughter and I built an enclosure based off of what I could find out. And we picked up a Russian tortoise at the expo. Pretty exciting but still a little stressful lol. Since the pics we've added some edge border around the top so there's no climbing over and we've added metal studs straps to secure it to the stand. temps on the hot side are at 95 and 70 on the cool side. The middle stays at 85. I have noticed the humidity fluctuates from 50-70 but I've been missing before feeding and turning on lights in the am. I figured that was gonna happen with an open top. But all in all I like the new family member. If anyone has any ideas to better the enclosere I'm open. Thanks y'all.IMG_20180922_114756.jpegIMG_20180922_114740.jpegIMG_20180922_114733.jpeg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
The log in the corner of the enclosure can and will be used as a foothold to climb out the enclosure. Russians are proficient climbers and diggers.

Are you using pine/cedar/cypress mulch along with what seems like coco coir? I would suggest against using mulch and instead stick with either coco coir or to add fine grade orchid/fir bark as a mix. Mulch is often drier than other substrate choices and certain types such as pine and cedar contain oils that can irritate and cause eye problems in tortoises. Cypress is also quite foul smelling when wet.

Make sure the substrate level is at least 4-6 inches. Russians burrow down into the substrate for their warming and cooling needs. I also pack their hide boxes with enough substrate to encourage their burrowing tendencies.

The Russian tortoise in the picture looks old enough to be an adult. Adult tortoises require adult-sized enclosures. An 8 x 4 ft enclosure is generally recommended for an adult Russian. I would consider expanding or building another enclosure if your current enclosure is not at least 6 x 3 ft.

Here is a link on Russian tortoise care sheet. I strongly suggest using this up to date care sheet over other information taken from other sites:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

The tiny analog gauge you're currently using may not be as accurate as a weather/food-branded digital thermometer hygrometer reader. I suggest purchasing one along with a temperature gun for more reliable readings.

A better water dish than your current resin one would be a larger plant saucer such as the terra cotta one you're currently using as a feed dish. Make sure it is submerged into the substrate and large enough to allow your tortoise to soak themselves when needed. Also, be sure to soak your adult tortoise at least a few times per week, 20-30 minutes in warm water.

Don't rely on yourself or other members of your family to work your light fixtures. Buy timers and use them. Set them up for 12-14 hour daily cycles. It's a few dollars and will not use much wattage.

What are you using for lighting/heating elements? What type of UVB fixtures are you using? The double dome fixtures you're currently using may not really be necessary. There are more durable, reliable, and cheaper fixtures that can project more heat and light into the enclosure. This will allow you to use lesser wattage bulbs, thereby saving more money on the long run.

Urbanartist76

Bedford, Tx
The log in the corner of the enclosure can and will be used as a foothold to climb out the enclosure. Russians are proficient climbers and diggers.

Are you using pine/cedar/cypress mulch along with what seems like coco coir? I would suggest against using mulch and instead stick with either coco coir or to add fine grade orchid/fir bark as a mix. Mulch is often drier than other substrate choices and certain types such as pine and cedar contain oils that can irritate and cause eye problems in tortoises. Cypress is also quite foul smelling when wet.

Make sure the substrate level is at least 4-6 inches. Russians burrow down into the substrate for their warming and cooling needs. I also pack their hide boxes with enough substrate to encourage their burrowing tendencies.

The Russian tortoise in the picture looks old enough to be an adult. Adult tortoises require adult-sized enclosures. An 8 x 4 ft enclosure is generally recommended for an adult Russian. I would consider expanding or building another enclosure if your current enclosure is not at least 6 x 3 ft.

Here is a link on Russian tortoise care sheet. I strongly suggest using this up to date care sheet over other information taken from other sites:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

The tiny analog gauge you're currently using may not be as accurate as a weather/food-branded digital thermometer hygrometer reader. I suggest purchasing one along with a temperature gun for more reliable readings.

A better water dish than your current resin one would be a larger plant saucer such as the terra cotta one you're currently using as a feed dish. Make sure it is submerged into the substrate and large enough to allow your tortoise to soak themselves when needed. Also, be sure to soak your adult tortoise at least a few times per week, 20-30 minutes in warm water.

Don't rely on yourself or other members of your family to work your light fixtures. Buy timers and use them. Set them up for 12-14 hour daily cycles. It's a few dollars and will not use much wattage.

What are you using for lighting/heating elements? What type of UVB fixtures are you using? The double dome fixtures you're currently using may not really be necessary. There are more durable, reliable, and cheaper fixtures that can project more heat and light into the enclosure. This will allow you to use lesser wattage bulbs, thereby saving more money on the long run.
Thanks for the advise. I've put skirts on the top for the reason of it getting to up there. It's Cypress mulch and I got one of those Lazer temp guns yesterday to check them. I have a 125 watt uvb and heat bulb in place of that and use the double dome as extra if needed. This is just the first home to start. Built it just because I knew we where gonna get one soon. I plan on building a much larger one that sits under an elevated queen size bed. I have the substrate at 4 inches an it seems to like to burrow in the hollowed out log which has slightly damp moth deep in it.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Consider building a closed chamber for your next enclosure. The amount of money you'll save from heating and lighting your tortoise can be as half of what you're currently running. Those figures may sound small but those savings add up over the course of 40-80 years. Quite a lot more for keepers with multiple tortoises and enclosures to look after.

Urbanartist76

Bedford, Tx
Consider building a closed chamber for your next enclosure. The amount of money you'll save from heating and lighting your tortoise can be as half of what you're currently running. Those figures may sound small but those savings add up over the course of 40-80 years. Quite a lot more for keepers with multiple tortoises and enclosures to look after.
Thanks I'll take a look at some

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's a really nice enclosure for a Russian tortoise. They don't require as much humidity as the sulcatas and leopards do. I think the occasional misting you do is enough for that little guy. He looks a bit young. Did you buy him from a breeder (in other words, do you know his age)? Also, Russian tortoises are more cold hardy, so once he gets past the tender "young" age and more to the adult age, heat won't be such a worry. Room temperature with a basking spot will be good enough.

I love how interested in the tortoise your daughter is. Hopefully she'll continue that interest.

Urbanartist76

Bedford, Tx
That's a really nice enclosure for a Russian tortoise. They don't require as much humidity as the sulcatas and leopards do. I think the occasional misting you do is enough for that little guy. He looks a bit young. Did you buy him from a breeder (in other words, do you know his age)? Also, Russian tortoises are more cold hardy, so once he gets past the tender "young" age and more to the adult age, heat won't be such a worry. Room temperature with a basking spot will be good enough.

I love how interested in the tortoise your daughter is. Hopefully she'll continue that interest.
I got him from a breeder at an expo. Thanks, she wanted the l shapeand Yes she loves different reptiles. We go to all the ones here in the area.