First Time Tortoise Purchase, In Need Of Help

Cole McNabb

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
Hi, my name is Cole. I'm new to Tortoise Forum and I'm about to purchase my first tortoise(s). I live in central Kentucky, and my tortoise(s) will be kept indoors. Here's what I need help with: I've narrowed the species of tortoise I'm getting down to two species, Eastern and Western Hermann's. My ultimate goal is to breed my tortoises, and hatch eggs and have baby tortoises. So here's my dilemma, if I buy a Western Hermann because of the expensive cost of them I can only purchase one tortoise and it would be a baby, then in about 6 months I could buy a second Western Hermann. If I buy Eastern Hermann's I can buy 3 or 4 baby tortoises, or 2 young adult tortoises. I don't need any advice on breeding or keeping my tortoises, I'm just looking for some opinions on what I should do purchase wise. Any advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this, hopefully you reply and help me out, thanks!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I say go with the Easterns. Get several animals and raise them up. Learn the ropes, and then go for the more rare and expensive ones after you've made your beginner mistakes and have learned what to do and what not to do.

I have a couple of questions for you:
1. If this is your first tortoise, why do you think you don't need any advice or tips on keeping or breeding? Doesn't everybody doing something for the first time need pointers? I sure do.
2. Why are you going to house them 100% indoors? You have good tortoise weather outside for at least 6 months of every year. Why not take advantage of that? You can do both. Have a big indoor enclosure that meets all of their needs, but also have a secure outdoor enclosure for fair weather.

Cole McNabb

Kentucky
I say go with the Easterns. Get several animals and raise them up. Learn the ropes, and then go for the more rare and expensive ones after you've made your beginner mistakes and have learned what to do and what not to do.

1. If this is your first tortoise, why do you think you don't need any advice or tips on keeping or breeding? Doesn't everybody doing something for the first time need pointers? I sure do.
2. Why are you going to house them 100% indoors? You have good tortoise weather outside for at least 6 months of every year. Why not take advantage of that? You can do both. Have a big indoor enclosure that meets all of their needs, but also have a secure outdoor enclosure for fair weather.
Thank you so much for the reply!! I really appreciate it!! And I should have specified, I do need advice and tips on keeping and breeding my tortoises, I just wanted help in this thread specifically on picking out what I will purchase. Sorry about that, I need all the help and advice I can get! And I will consider keeping them outside some of the year, I just have severe OCD which means I check things repeadetly and I will be checking on my tortoises dozens of times a day and if they were outside I feel as if I would have less control on guaranteeing there safety and health. Thanks again for the reply!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Tom. Get the less expensive tortoise, or two or three, learn and make your mistakes with this species, then when you have it down pat, get the more expensive ones for breeding. You have to house the species separately, don't forget.

Cole McNabb

Kentucky
I'm with Tom. Get the less expensive tortoise, or two or three, learn and make your mistakes with this species, then when you have it down pat, get the more expensive ones for breeding. You have to house the species separately, don't forget.
I'm curious what mistakes are typically made with beginner tortoise keepers? I'd like to know so that I can try my best to avoid them if possible. I'm a perfectionist so mistakes aren't well tolerated with me, so please let me know what common mistakes you can think of that I might make. Thank you so much for the reply!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Eastern hermanns are very fun to keep. You wouldn't be disappointed in getting a little group of them. WIth time and learning to keep tortoises you can try the western subspecies. They are little harder to find, Not sure if the care is harder but for a first time owner get one you know will be fairly hardy.

Kyle

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere

amen:)

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
get one and see how you do, many people do not realize how much work goes into keeping any kind of animal, and it is time out of your life you will need to spare everyday. get one, if six months later you still feel as passionate about adding more and still have the time, etc. then more power to you, just so you know it will be years and years before you see any babies so just have fun until then :)