First Timer: Hatchling High White Leopard Tortoise

Arlo

Location (City and/or State)
Japan
Arlo is my new high white leopard tortoise that I got only 2 days ago. The first day he arrived I let him get settled in his enclosure, thinking that he would be very shy and stressed for the next couple of days, however yesterday when i offered him food he was not hesitant to eat it out of my hand! He's been great so far and has quickly warmed up to me. Although I have done a lot of research prior to Arlo's arrival I still have a few questions about leopard tortoise husbandry:
1. Is Repti-bark a suitable substrate for this species?
2. I know that Arlo is a hatchling, but can anyone identify roughly how many months old he is? I'm assuming he's under 6 months. He measures at roughly 2"3/4 - 3" inches. 1F0653D7-2396-468B-AF04-5ACF9B947D12.jpg 18801814-23D9-4CB8-AE56-5227D4C28B8C.jpg IMG_4100.jpg

Thanks for all the help!!

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Here are some links to some helpful threads you may want to read up on. The information should be answer most questions:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

1. Repti-bark is nothing more than overpriced fir bark. Fine grade orchid/fir bark is a good substrate for most tortoises. It is also much cheaper to buy them in hardware stores, gardening supply centers, and plant nurseries.

2. The breeder of your tortoise is probably the only one that can accurate give you that answer.

3. Where was this tortoise purchased from?

4. What type of bulbs are you using?

Please be specific and include links or pictures if you are unable to verify the make and model of the product in question.

5. What is the humidity level of your enclosure and how often is your tortoise soaked per week?

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome! Arlo is so cute! And I really like his name :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Great looking tort! Good luck with your new family member

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I don't want you to be disappointed when Arlo grows up and you realize you have a normal-looking leopard tortoise. I don't see any "high white" in that cute little baby. I would guess his age to be about eight or ten months, maybe even a year.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Welcome and I was going to say the same as Yvonne. Hopefully you didn't over pay for him. Either way though he will be a great pet. You do need to change the enclosure to a closed chamber as he appears to be dry looking and probably was raised too dry before you got him.

Arlo

Japan
Hi, and welcome!

I don't want you to be disappointed when Arlo grows up and you realize you have a normal-looking leopard tortoise. I don't see any "high white" in that cute little baby. I would guess his age to be about eight or ten months, maybe even a year.

The breeder I got him from said he was high white but I think you may be right haha... either way i still love him to bits

Arlo

Japan
Welcome and I was going to say the same as Yvonne. Hopefully you didn't over pay for him. Either way though he will be a great pet. You do need to change the enclosure to a closed chamber as he appears to be dry looking and probably was raised too dry before you got him.

Thanks for the advice, I'm working on upgrading his enclosure at the moment to make it much more humid then it was in that image. Temporarily, I've been adding eco earth and water into the substrate and spraying down the enclosure multiple times a day to compensate for the open top enclosure