First Tort Table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Just finished my hingeback's new table. It's a 4x4 table with a plexiglas 1/2 lid. I'm using cypress mulch for substrate plus sphagnum moss in the hide. I've got coco coir on order as well as a CHE to replace the red light of doom. The pond is a repurposed paint tray (never used) with a shower drain installed for easy drainage and water change. I'm using a repti fogger for humidity. Turk took one lap around the table and then headed straight for his new bigger hide. Hope he likes it. Please let me know what you think, I'd love to get feedback from more experienced owners!

image-3173160372.png

image-3519538497.png

image-2596532248.png

image-1150195424.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks nice. I would add some plants. Boston fern, pothos, ponytail palm, just a few that can be had now from home depot.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Plants are on my shopping list for my next trip to Lowes. I need to print out a safe list to bring with me.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
"The pond is a repurposed paint tray (never used) with a shower drain installed for easy drainage and water change."

Now that's a great ideas! I might steal your shower drain idea for my future closed enclosure, thanks a lot for sharing this. Also nice hinge back, what kind of hinge back is he?

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Added some plants from the approved list. I think it looks much nicer now. Also got a length of heat cord to use for his hide. I'm worried the cool side is too cool, as he never seems to venture over there. Of course he's only been in for two days, so he may be still acclimating. Certainly had no issues eating though!

image-4028846992.png

image-4198991824.png

image-2312132449.png

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Stars said:
"The pond is a repurposed paint tray (never used) with a shower drain installed for easy drainage and water change."

Now that's a great ideas! I might steal your shower drain idea for my future closed enclosure, thanks a lot for sharing this. Also nice hinge back, what kind of hinge back is he?

I believe (thanks to the knowledgeable folks on this forum) that it is a Bells Hingeback. He's my family's first tort, adopted from a friend who couldn't keep him anymore. Still learning as much as I can. I may replace the paint tray with a shallower pond, it's a little steep.

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Do you mind sharing a rough cost estimate for this? I love it looks exactly like what I want to build but I am trying to save up for it now.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
CapnAwes0me said:
Do you mind sharing a rough cost estimate for this? I love it looks exactly like what I want to build but I am trying to save up for it now.

Very rough estimate since I had the table base on hand already for another project, but I tried to take it into account.

Figure about 120-150 for the lumber

About 40 for the shower pan liner (Lowes)

About 50 for the pond and fittings (not necessary, but I like it)

About 100 for the fogger and heat lamps.

About 40 for the plexiglas

So (very roughly) about 350-400 for the parts.

I didn't include hardware like nuts bolts or specialty tools like the hole saw for the drain.

Hope that helps!

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Crabbityjoe said:
CapnAwes0me said:

Very rough estimate since I had the table base on hand already for another project, but I tried to take it into account.

Figure about 120-150 for the lumber

About 40 for the shower pan liner (Lowes)

About 50 for the pond and fittings (not necessary, but I like it)

About 100 for the fogger and heat lamps.

About 40 for the plexiglas

So (very roughly) about 350-400 for the parts.

I didn't include hardware like nuts bolts or specialty tools like the hole saw for the drain.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
You did a wonderful job!! What was his before home?

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
He was in a 50 gallon aquarium which I didn't think was really big enough. He seems to be very healthy though so whoever originally owned him must have taken good care of him.

Crabbityjoe

5 Year Member
Just a couple of update pics. Ran some 3/4" PVC from the fogger so that the fog spreads throughout more evenly. I was getting one really damp spot without much spread of the humidity.

image-789346513.png

image-820965932.png

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, you have thought of everything! Great job!!

Status
Not open for further replies.