• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I am new to this forum, and hopefully, soon to be new at tortoise keeping. I would like some opinions on what to get. I know of the greeks and russians, but i would like something a little bigger, and with a bigger personality. I don't live in a high humidity environment, and i do have winters. i would like to keep the tortoise inside, and take it outside on hot summer days. I have narrowed it down to a Leopard Tortoise, a Sulcatta Tortoise ( i know they get huge, but i have time to build an outside enclosure, also suitable for winter), a Cherry Head red foot tortoise, and finally, if all else fails, i wouldn't mind a Golden Greek :D. Please, any advice would be appreciated.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
I live in Nebraska, thankfully, i have no laws against any reptile at all, except the nationwide can't sell tortoises under 4" stuff

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The 4" rule only applies to businesses, not small time hobby breeders.

If you want personality look into South African Leopards. A little bigger and more personable in my opinion. Also, have you checked out Hermanni? The easterns are bigger than a greek, but just as pretty, and usually have great personalities.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
If i were to buy a tortoise i would buy it from Tortoise Supply . com, and i don't know if they have south african leopards, but i could check, and i have heard of hermans :D i also hear they are excellent pets, but for me, i like the mid sized tortoises, or the really colorful ones, like the golden greek. i have researched all 4 animals for about a month, and i just don't know which to choose :/

gopherhockey03

5 Year Member
East Grand Forks
I would go with the Red Foot, there's a member on here who's from Nebraska and he's a reputable Redfoot breeder who know's his stuff!!!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Redfoots, Eastern & Dalmatian Hermann's & Ibera Greeks all make good first time tortoises. Be aware that "Golden" Greeks are not a species. It's a common name given to several different subspecies of gracea that originate mainly from the Middle East and East Africa. Generally, all "Golden" Greeks can be maintained the same, but some, depending upon wild origin can be touchy in captivity. The point is that by not knowing their origin you may not know what you are getting in terms of ease of care or captive adaptability. Also consider that Redfoots, Hermann's & Ibera are all readily available as captive born whereas the majority of "Golden" Greeks are still imported wild caughts. Fortunately, that is also slowly changing and more captive borns are becoming available. Some people prefer not to support the wild caught tortoise trade. Sulcata and Leopards are both great tortoise species but both get large, especially Sulcata. Easy to maintain when small, but future consideration has to be given to providing large accomodations as the tortoise grows.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ethan:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Good luck in your search. I hope you find what you're looking for. And we're here to help when the time comes.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Wow Guys! thanks for all the great advice! I would like to know, if an adult red-foot, Leopard, or greek could be kept in an enclosure of 72" X 40" x 24"? and i would like to talk to the red foot breeder here if i could :D thanks

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
I woud also like to add a question, out of the 4, which would you say has the best personality? :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ethan D said:
Also, do you guys trust Tortoise Supply . com?

He's actually a member of this forum!

I've never purchased from him myself, but I know many who have. He [Tyler Stewart] takes pretty good care of his animals as well as his customers.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
StudentoftheReptile said:
Ethan D said:
Also, do you guys trust Tortoise Supply . com?

He's actually a member of this forum!

I've never purchased from him myself, but I know many who have. He [Tyler Stewart] takes pretty good care of his animals as well as his customers.

Thats Great! i came across his site when i was looking for care info, and he turned out to sell some tortoises as well. I might get in touch with him sometime

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ethan D said:
Wow Guys! thanks for all the great advice! I would like to know, if an adult red-foot, Leopard, or greek could be kept in an enclosure of 72" X 40" x 24"? and i would like to talk to the red foot breeder here if i could :D thanks

Probably the greek, since it is the smallest of the three. Definitely not the leopard. Maybe the redfoot if it got a lot of regular outdoor time, but I would still go for a larger ( 96" x 48").

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Ethan D said:

Probably the greek, since it is the smallest of the three. Definitely not the leopard. Maybe the redfoot if it got a lot of regular outdoor time, but I would still go for a larger ( 96" x 48").

Cool, i was just double checking, because i talked to someone from underground reptiles and he told me that both the greek and redfoot would be fine, and leopard will bo ok as long as he can walk around outside, what size enclosure can a leopard live in?

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ethan D said:
I woud also like to add a question, out of the 4, which would you say has the best personality? :D

The typical answer is: it depends on what your definition of a "best" personality is. I would imagine you're looking for something somewhat sociable and outgoing.

I only have experience with redfoots. They can be secretive in their enclosures, but relatively outgoing when it comes to human-tortoise interaction. They rarely pull into their shells when picked up, and generally seem unafraid of my presence.

Leopards, from what I "hear," are rather shy.

I dunno about Greeks. If they're anything like Russians, they're probably fairly active and outgoing. But again...no experience with them or leos.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Ethan D said:

The typical answer is: it depends on what your definition of a "best" personality is. I would imagine you're looking for something somewhat sociable and outgoing.

I only have experience with redfoots. They can be secretive in their enclosures, but relatively outgoing when it comes to human-tortoise interaction. They rarely pull into their shells when picked up, and generally seem unafraid of my presence.

Leopards, from what I "hear," are rather shy.

I dunno about Greeks. If they're anything like Russians, they're probably fairly active and outgoing. But again...no experience with them or leos.
Thanks man, you give great advice :D, the only thing i am worried about with redfoots is that they need high humidity, which isn't hard, since the natural % in my house is around 40-50, so i would have to mist him 2-3 times a day :D

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Ethan D said:
Cool, i was just double checking, because i talked to someone from underground reptiles and he told me that both the greek and redfoot would be fine, and leopard will bo ok as long as he can walk around outside, what size enclosure can a leopard live in?

Well, to put it in more understandable terms....

A Greek will get about the size of a very large box turtle, just yay smaller than a football.

A redfoot will get about the size of a small-midsized watermelon.

A leopard will get about the size of between a basket ball and a large beach ball...ish.
----
From what I understand, leopards are natural grazers, similar to their larger cousins, the sulcatas. While not much larger than a redfoot, they behave differently; they likely will be constantly moving and nibbling on grass. That's why I don't think it would be good for an adult leopard. Now if you're deadset on a leopard, and you'll be able to build an larger outdoor pen area for it in years to come, then that size of an enclosure would be fine for a young leopard.

Ethan D said:
Thanks man, you give great advice :D, the only thing i am worried about with redfoots is that they need high humidity, which isn't hard, since the natural % in my house is around 40-50, so i would have to mist him 2-3 times a day :D

I haven't the slightest idea what the humidity in my house is, but here's what I did for my redfoots: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-130-gal-Closed-Top-Tank-Progression-Thread#axzz20EkHkwMv

It was basically inspired by what another member did here: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ure-via-Heat-ropes-Lots-of-pics#axzz1us6f70vN

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Nebraska
Ethan D said:

Well, to put it in more understandable terms....

A Greek will get about the size of a very large box turtle, just yay smaller than a football.

A redfoot will get about the size of a small-midsized watermelon.

A leopard will get about the size of between a basket ball and a large beach ball...ish.
----
From what I understand, leopards are natural grazers, similar to their larger cousins, the sulcatas. While not much larger than a redfoot, they behave differently; they likely will be constantly moving and nibbling on grass. That's why I don't think it would be good for an adult leopard. Now if you're deadset on a leopard, and you'll be able to build an larger outdoor pen area for it in years to come, then that size of an enclosure would be fine for a young leopard.

Cool, good info, and i don't know if i am dead-set on a leopard, mainly because i would be worried to have it outside, as with the sulcatta, mainly because of thievery or predators, and also, when i have to let my dogs outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.