Flakey skin on my spur thighs eye...

Moi Hutton

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello! I have recently adopted an old spur thigh from grandparents. We live in the uk and have him in an outdoor enclosure but he can roam around our garden during the day. This morning I noticed some flakey skin on his eye and have started to panic...is this normal? It was very humid and wet yesterday but has been super hot over the past few weeks. Let me know what you think! Thanks, Moi

Attachments

• C5A2813F-C6FC-4B5C-8815-06369C101F83.jpeg
    C5A2813F-C6FC-4B5C-8815-06369C101F83.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
  • 4D8BC489-677D-41B7-8EF0-FBA1914B4EDB.jpeg
    4D8BC489-677D-41B7-8EF0-FBA1914B4EDB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • E99B4F99-C586-466B-AF24-2A5CC25D032C.jpeg
    E99B4F99-C586-466B-AF24-2A5CC25D032C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 43

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
I’d say give him a good long soak. Soaking seems to be the answer to everything. There are care sheets too but I’m not sure where about a they are. I’ll try find it.

One of the pros will be able to advise more. He’s a lovely old boy by the way.

Moi Hutton

UK
Thanks! I was wondering about a soak, he had one on Saturday but it’s been so hot all week he probably needs another. We’ve only had him a week and I’m in love! He’s such a character. Thanks for the support.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Thanks! I was wondering about a soak, he had one on Saturday but it’s been so hot all week he probably needs another. We’ve only had him a week and I’m in love! He’s such a character. Thanks for the support.
[/https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/greek-tortoise-care-guide.174622/

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Flaky skin is just old skin peeling off.

All animals shed skin. Snakes do it tidily in one go, humans do it in tiny pieces that become house dust and torts do it in patches looking downright tatty at times.

I advise to leave well alone. No potions or treatment required. It will rub off as the tort goes about its business. I had a Greek in the UK for well over 40 years. Leave well alone :D

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
There you go the care sheet.
soaking won’t do him any harm. A lot of people on here say soaking is the answer to most issues.
I wouldn’t be to alarmed about the flaking. There was a post on here about it but I can’t find it now. Torts are a reptile. And reptiles do flake. I’m not 100% sure how it works with a tort. But I’m sure one of the pros will comment in time when they are around.

Mystic_Queen (Llaria)

England,
Tha
Flaky skin is just old skin peeling off.

All animals shed skin. Snakes do it tidily in one go, humans do it in tiny pieces that become house dust and torts do it in patches looking downright tatty at times.

Advise to leave well alone. No potions or treatment required. It will rub off as the tort goes about its business. I had a Greek in the UK for well over 40 years. Leave well alone :D
thank you. Didn’t think it was anything to worry about

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
@Moi Hutton

You may find this thread useful that I put together about how we kept Joe

Moi Hutton

UK
We think he might be in his 70’s. Grandparents had him from their friend who moved (now passed away)- this was over 30years ago. We’ve managed to get the contact details of their friends son (who’s in his late 60’s) so we’ve made contact to try and find out more! He may have been this mans childhood pet! Will keep you all updated!