Flash (Hermanns Tortoise) has buried himself and not moved for just less than 24 hours

Flash2020

Location (City and/or State)
Bolton
So as the title says, Its the first time my tortoise has had soil instead of the little pellet things what was provided when I bought him a couple weeks ago, I replaced it yesterday during the day and pretty much since then he has just buried himself and not moved, is everything fine here?

This is my first time owning a pet of this type and every 10minutes I am just worried hes not happy, I am feeding him correct things and always making sure temperature is fine and water is kept fresh and letting him out for walks etc but this has been hard the past 24hour since he hasnt moved and I dont want to disturb him if he is hibernating etc.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome
Yes they love to dig but will also do so if temps aren't right.
This is the caresheet you need to check everything is OK with your set up and pictures of the enclosure, lamps and tort will help members give you good feedback.

He shouldn't be hibernating if your temps are right and especially if he's been eating. The preparation for hibernation is gradual and they stop eating before it, so that there's no food in the gut to rot. If I were you I would take him out and give him a nice luke/baby warm shallow soak.

Last edited:

Flash2020

Bolton
Hi and welcome
Yes they love to dig but will also do so if temps aren't right.
This is the caresheet you need to check everything is OK with your set up and pictures of the enclosure, lamps and tort will help members give you good feedback.
Thank you! I will provide some pictures right now,

So where the basking side is, I tend to keep it around 32-35c heat and then where the lamp is not there, I tend to keep it between 20-25c

Now at night time, I turn off all the lights and it sits around 17-20c

• He has one big water to bath in (Most of the time I take him out and do that)
  • He has water to drink from
  • I give him fresh veg or fruits everyday plus there is some cookie type things which have dandelion in the (Thats the circle thing you can see)
  • He has the bushes which he loves to hide under when sleeping
  • NOW the current pellets, I found out today that they're not really good for them to eat but he has been brought up on them since the shop I bought him from so I am not really sure on them.
Ignore the mess, he messed it all up little man :)

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you! I will provide some pictures right now,

So where the basking side is, I tend to keep it around 32-35c heat and then where the lamp is not there, I tend to keep it between 20-25c

Now at night time, I turn off all the lights and it sits around 17-20c

• He has one big water to bath in (Most of the time I take him out and do that)
  • He has water to drink from
  • I give him fresh veg or fruits everyday plus there is some cookie type things which have dandelion in the (Thats the circle thing you can see)
  • He has the bushes which he loves to hide under when sleeping
  • NOW the current pellets, I found out today that they're not really good for them to eat but he has been brought up on them since the shop I bought him from so I am not really sure on them.
Check your temps against those recommended on the caresheet. What sort of thermometer are you using and are you taking readings at tort level?
You should get rid of all the pellets and use one of the options for substrate on the caresheet. Pellets are too dry and they also go mouldy with spores that could harm your tort.
The water dish and food dishes are too steep and could be a tipping hazard which could cause drowning or overheating. Cheap terracotta plant saucers sunk level with the substrate are safer and easier for him to access and exit.
The food pellets are OK occasionally but dark leafy greens should be the main diet. Fruit should never be fed - they love it, but their systems can't handle the sugars.
You mentioned you take him out for a walkaround but you shouldn't let them wander around the floor because temps are far lower down there and small torts lose heat quickly. There are also many hazards which could harm him - human and pet hair, dust bunnies, small items he could choke on or cause impaction plus the danger of being stepped on or kicked or crushed in doors.
He will soon need a larger enclosure and 4 x 8 feet is the minimum he will need so if you aim for that he'll have room to roam about then, but hopefully when it gets warmer you'll have a safe outdoor enclosure he can spend time in.

Flash2020

Bolton
Check your temps against those recommended on the caresheet. What sort of thermometer are you using and are you taking readings at tort level?
You should get rid of all the pellets and use one of the options for substrate on the caresheet. Pellets are too dry and they also go mouldy with spores that could harm your tort.
The water dish and food dishes are too steep and could be a tipping hazard which could cause drowning or overheating. Cheap terracotta plant saucers sunk level with the substrate are safer and easier for him to access and exit.
The food pellets are OK occasionally but dark leafy greens should be the main diet. Fruit should never be fed - they love it, but their systems can't handle the sugars.
You mentioned you take him out for a walkaround but you shouldn't let them wander around the floor because temps are far lower down there and small torts lose heat quickly. There are also many hazards which could harm him - human and pet hair, dust bunnies, small items he could choke on or cause impaction plus the danger of being stepped on or kicked or crushed in doors.
He will soon need a larger enclosure and 4 x 8 feet is the minimum he will need so if you aim for that he'll have room to roam about then, but hopefully when it gets warmer you'll have a safe outdoor enclosure he can spend time in.
You have helped me a lot! I shall start working on changing this!

I have removed the big bowl of water and kept just the small one, have you any recommendations for water dish?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

You have helped me a lot! I shall start working on changing this!

I have removed the big bowl of water and kept just the small one, have you any recommendations for water dish?
Cheap terrcotta plant saucers are ideal.
He should always have water, so use something that isn't slippery or so steep until you get a plant saucer.

Flash2020

Bolton
Cheap terrcotta plant saucers are ideal.
He should always have water, so use something that isn't slippery or so steep until you get a plant saucer.
Awesome, I have just ordered some of them, I will also be removing the pellets and ordering some of the substrate suggested.

Also I appreciate you warning me about letting him walk about on the floor!

Thank you so much! Also about the fruits, I haven't actually fed him one single fruit yet which is good now you have told me, I had got some in the house ready to give him but now you said I wont be giving them him. :)