Flavomarginata Incubation?

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
One of them hatched yesterday. I also found two more eggs about a week ago. I noticed a 50-gram loss on one female over a week period, and suspected she had laid her eggs somewhere. Unfortunately, I was unable to find them. I never dreamed of checking in the loose leaves under the hide, as most turtles I'm experienced with will typically not lay eggs where they can't receive at least some sunlight. I stumbled upon two more while digging up the turtles for records/measurements. Too soon to tell if they will be fertile or not. Fingers crossed.

chelonianchat

5 Year Member
Your eggs should have hatched by now, right? The color you described in May sounded good. The 30 degree Celsius is good for hatching all females, but for males you may have go a little lower (25 C?) I have always just used plastic containers with dampened, coarse vermiculite in simple hovabators. of course i use less moisture in the ornate box containers, but about the same as Gulf coast, 3toed, florida box, spotted, etc.

My biggest problem is the number of fertile vs. infertile eggs. I need more unrelated adult males according to Mr. Farrell. (he does take awhile to return emails, but he does return them and is always very helpful. Nice man and a great asset to the turtle community) If anyone has any extra males to sell, I would love to meet them at Wayne's Daytona show next week. Thanks.

chelonianchat

5 Year Member
sorry, didn't see the recent post. That is one of the problems with flavos: they lay very shallow nests, especially in April (down in south USA). The other adults often crush and eat the eggs when they are digging around. Later in June they may dig deeper nests that are harder to find. I believe that they triple clutch often, but some eggs are destroyed before you find them.