Flavomarginata

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Very nice!!!! I love my Flavs, but I don't think they like me too much. My adults hide from me a lot!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very pretty, Robert. I'm wondering how you have them set up during our cold winters here.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

turtlelou

5 Year Member
Are these aquatic? The water looked deep...
I thought this was the Chinese box turtle :)?

turtlemanfla88

My Flavos are more terrestrial than my ambonensis. They swim ,but they do not like deep water I keep it 9" is the deepest end. Ambonensis pond is over 18" deep. Make sure the park does not spray anything when you collecting the leaves. I treat my own yard ,but not where my animals are.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
My Flavos are more terrestrial than my ambonensis. They swim ,but they do not like deep water I keep it 9" is the deepest end. Ambonensis pond is over 18" deep. Make sure the park does not spray anything when you collecting the leaves. I treat my own yard ,but not where my animals are.

We go deep in the woods to collect the leaves, my boxies really liked sycamore bark too.
So, the flavos might be able to be outside here in Ohio for the summer. I really like this turtle :). I just hate to think of keeping it inside during the cold months. I dont think it could hibernate here.

turtlemanfla88

I have different species of oaks that I use down here in Florida. I know of people in TN,NC,SC, and GA that keep them out all year long. I would not chance it. My ambonensis and Flavos stay out all year long.I keep about 6-8" of mud at the bottoms of my ponds. It went one night last year to 22F and anyone not in the water that was on land I brought in.I would check with others up north who keep Flavos everyone on this forum is really helpful.

GotTurtles

10 Year Member!
Fresno, Ca
What temps can they withstand?

The lowest it gets here is high 20's but mostly in the 30's in the winter. That's the coldest and they hibernate in My garage. The summers are triple digits and they are outside with a little pond and a lot of shade.

turtlelou

5 Year Member
The lowest it gets here is high 20's but mostly in the 30's in the winter. That's the coldest and they hibernate in My garage. The summers are triple digits and they are outside with a little pond and a lot of shade.
:) I want one. They are so neat!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Are these aquatic? The water looked deep...
I thought this was the Chinese box turtle :)?

These are along with galbinfrons, the most terrestrial of the Cuora genus, hence their often times being broken off into the genus Cistoclemys. On the other hand, as turtlemanfla88 mentioned, ambonensis are the most aquatic of the Cuora genus.

With all of that said, these turtles can swim a bit, and the Taxonomy Management Group actually recommends keeping them aquatically for the first year. I thought that was pretty interesting.

Turtlepete

South Florida
@Anthony P, it seems like a lot of information says that boxies are perhaps totally aquatic in their first few years. This has been found in a lot of NA box turtles, or so I've been told. Wonder if it's the same with Asian/Cuora genus? Perhaps it increases their chance of survival to be aquatic early in life? Pretty interesting.

Darn, I love these Flavo's. Yours' are gorgeous. Wish I could get a group of them, but adult's seem rare, and hatchlings are getting quite pricey. Hoping to get a group of Ambo's soon though ;).

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
@Anthony P, it seems like a lot of information says that boxies are perhaps totally aquatic in their first few years. This has been found in a lot of NA box turtles, or so I've been told. Wonder if it's the same with Asian/Cuora genus? Perhaps it increases their chance of survival to be aquatic early in life? Pretty interesting.

Darn, I love these Flavo's. Yours' are gorgeous. Wish I could get a group of them, but adult's seem rare, and hatchlings are getting quite pricey. Hoping to get a group of Ambo's soon though ;).
You a TSA member Pete?

Turtlepete

South Florida
You a TSA member Pete?

I'm a "Green Student member of the TSA". Does that qualify? All I know is it's what I had to sign up for to be able to go to the TSC as a volunteer back in March. Not sure if there is a higher level of membership, or something along those lines.