flipped in water bowl already

mattramsfan76

so we finally got our baby yesterday and she has been very active which is a good sign. but today i left the cage for about an hour and came back and she was flipped over in her water bowl. this water bowl is about as shallow as i can find. its a little tupperware lid that i found at my house. what shall i do about this? i took the water bowl out but she needs it incase she wants to drink.

Barista5261

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Shallow is good [THUMBS UP SIGN] if for some reason you can't use the Tupperware lid anymore, another user forum favorite is a terra cotta clay flower pot saucer. $1.97 for a 4" one.

Is it possible to move the lid into a corner of the enclosure so she would at least have a wall to push up against to flip herself back over?

abclements

5 Year Member
Did you bury it in the substrate, sometimes they can flip themselves trying to climb over, if it is sunk down into the substrate the just have to go down or up, not both. Also how deep is your dish compared to the overall shell length?

mattramsfan76

i had the bowl in the corner of the enclosure and also buried it up to the sides of the lid. she was just laying there. she is fine now and was quick to get back to her humid hide where she is now taking a nap.

abclements

5 Year Member
Ahha I think I know what happened. Corners are big culprits of tort flipping. Go ahead and move it out from the corner and you should be good. They try to climb the corner and end up upside down... so yes corners help them flip back over, but they also are more likely to flip them in the first place.

mattramsfan76

abclements said:
Ahha I think I know what happened. Corners are big culprits of tort flipping. Go ahead and move it out from the corner and you should be good. They try to climb the corner and end up upside down... so yes corners help them flip back over, but they also are more likely to flip them in the first place.
ok. so i just put her water dish back in there and filled it barely up at all. enough so that she can drink from it if she wants to. it is now away from the corner. hopefully no more flipping occurs. I will be gone for several hours tomorrow for work. i hope she doesn't flip.