flipping over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi!

don't know if you discussed this before but I think it will take years to read all :D
so I saw the new settlement for T.hermani here and well aren't you afraid your tortoise might flip over? mine is like 1.5 years old and a bit sick at the moment so maybe it is cause of that but I found him on his back 4 times in the last month. and never before... so I am a bit afraid of putting big rocks or stuff cause he will climb for sure.

thank you

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I don't have hermanns but I also don't put rocks in the tortoises in enclosures. They get there hide boxes and a bunch of substrate that they move all around. Tell me why you think yours is sick? Usually when they flip over it is because they are trying to climb over something, or up the sides of there enclosure. Do you have lights in your enclosures? heat & uvb? What are the tempatures in your enclosure? There could be a lot of reasons that your little one is sick.

Edita

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
hm...

in my introduction post we started to discuss why my little one is sick and vet confirmed. but it is first stages so I am doing my best to stop it in the beginning.
trouble with sight, he can't focus on anything. like last 2cm he is eating air. blurry eyes.

I asked this not cause I think he is doing it cause he is sick but I want to improve his settlement (quite big, 90x90) so he has lots of space...

is it a problem if he is on his back for longer periods? if nobody is home or?

nx

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
It could be a problem if he flips over under the heating light...he could overheat. To be on their backs for too long causes them a lot of stress, which leads to sick torts. One way to remedy that is to make sure his substrate is such that he can get ahold of something and right himself again :).

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
my little hermann's has flipped over once as she slipped off her log hide when she was climbing over. she has such fun with it, tho, i don't want to take it out so i just check on her often.

i have two greeks that flip over like 6 times a day as they try to climb the walls. i can block everything but the still go at it... half the time they can't right themselves. so needless to say i check on them every hour or two!

Status
Not open for further replies.