Flooding:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
I made an outdoor enclosure, its 6foot by 4 foot, its in a good location, good sun during the day, ect, I have a problem with flooding inside the ineside the enclosure though, I'm thinking of just pulling out the boards, ect, pretty much taking out the whole enclosure and fix this problem. Any ideas on how to fix flooding? I was thinking maybe digging down a few inches, adding sand then on top of that soil, then on top of that the dirt i have now. The sides of the enclosure go into the ground about 6 inches so i know thats not helping a bit, so i might run a few PVC pipes under all the sand and such to dran pass the wood. Also i think i need to plant some grass and plants to also help with the water.

Any other ideas, or corrections, by no means do i knwo what i'm doing, i'm just doing, ha. So any advice will be great, and most likely be used.

Kyle

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its hard to give advice when I haven't actually seen the area. Would it be at all possible to make the inside of the pen slope gently? Then on the bottom end of the slope you could have a layer of pea gravel going under the board so that the water would percolate through the gravel and out of the pen. Dig down several inches and fill it with pea gravel. The gravel would also make it hard for the inhabitant to dig out.

Yvonne

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
hmm.. yeah that might work, i will try and get pictures, but the ground is really hard here in so cali. Tomorrow i have the day off so going to try and fix it, unless it rains

chadk

10 Year Member!
You could also drill some small holes in the lower part of the wood. Or cut bigger holes and cover with hard wire cloth.

I would definately be sure you have a slope though as noted above. And you can build your hide on the upper end, and maybe allow the tort to climb to the top of the hide for a nice basking spot, and if he happens to be in there during a flood, he could climb to the top to avoid drowning?

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't mean to be a dumb blonde, but where is the water coming from? Can you divert it?

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kyle, why not use a french drain. Its a big about 4 inch PVC pipe with lots of holes in it. You would dig up your area put down gravel lay down the french drain then fill it all in. The water is collected in the french drain and moved down it to where you want it or so I am told. I would talk with someone in a Home Depot or Lowes for some ideas. That may be your ticket.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
the waters are from sprinklers, and me just watering the plants in the enclosure, so its not flooded much, just when i have the sprinklers going, and stuff like that, also when it rains. I'm going to attempt a french drain, and some of the other ideas up top. To bad california soil is so darn hard

Status
Not open for further replies.