Florida Box Turtle Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
Hello Everyone ! My name is Stephanie and I live in Chicago. I just purchased a captive breed Florida box turtle hatchling yesterday at the All Animal Expo.. I have never had this species of box turtle, but I grew up with an ornate box turtle.. Does anyone else out there have a Florida? Please give me tips !! :tort:

Attachments

• turtle hatchling.jpg
    turtle hatchling.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 41
  • turtle drinking .jpg
    turtle drinking .jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 37

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Welcome! He or she, is a very pretty little guy. Did you go there planning on buying one? :tort:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Very cool. We don't see many bauri's around here, so thanks for posting those pix. When I visited Everglades National Park, I saw these guys all over the place! They were really beautiful. Here in Colorado, we get the ornates, which looking amazingly similar, except their head and carapace are broader.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Ive been looking to adopt a box turtle for about a month.. I contacted the Chicago Herp Society but the lady never returned calls or emails so I decided to look around for a captive breed turtle. My brother and I went to the show last weekend and saw a three toe box turtle breeder, but the hatchlings were not that active and did not struggle when picked up, so we went home empty handed.. I didnt even plan to go back yesterday, but my brother needed accessories for his ornate so I went with.. the florida hatchlings were so active and they looked very healthy, so i decided to get her! I was happy that she is from a captive family because I did not want to contribute to people stealing animals from the wild !!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Stephanie:

Welcome to the Tortoise forum!!

Your new little baby is so cute. I have a couple yearlings and two adult males. I just treat them like I do all my other types of box turtle.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Welcome! I have several Florida boxies. They are great, active turtles with lots of personality. I also treat mine the same as my other boxies, although mine have not hibernated as easily as my other turtles. Congratulations on your new little one. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.