Florida Box Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I don't know anything about box turtles, but I thought this one looked kind of strange to me. His enclosure seems very small and I'm only seeing a regular light bulb for lighting. I assume they need uvb too! I just felt sorry for him.
http://columbus.craigslist.org/pet/4075480738.html

I hope someone in my area might be interested!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I'd love to get him, but I don't have a spare $200.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Yeah, maybe they would take less without the tank. I don't know what box turtles go for.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
The turtle's shell looks bad and if you tell them how much you know maybe they will change the price. It doesn't hurt to ask.

I've actually never seen a box turtles shell so flat with pyramiding. Maybe I have not searched this forum enough, but that's the worse pyramiding I've ever seen on a box turtle.

Makes me sick. They are so easy to put outside in the yard. I am disgusted.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Yeah, I've seen deformed shells on boxies before, but I've never seen one look actually pyramided like this one. I can contact them and see about if they would lower the price for just the turtle. I mean, I definitely wouldn't want that tank! It is a couple of hours from me though.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yes, it's a Gulf Coast box turtle that's in poor shape. He' pyramided so bad it makes me sick. This person is selling this turtle from Ohio for too much, especially given its unhealthy state. If anyone is in Ohio and wants him, talk the person down. Also, if someone from Florida wants it, you'll need to get a permit from FWC of Florida first. It's against the law to buy, sell, trade, or barder for Florida box turtles coming into the state. Poor fella:'( Btw, these turtles are a protected species in Florida. What a shame!

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
I'll send an email now, saying I came across the CL ad by accident. I'm too far away and maybe I can get the ball rolling telling them how unhealthy their turtle is.

My Email hope it helps get this turtle into good hands:

I found your post for a Florida Box turtle. Unfortunately, this turtle has been malnourished, the shell should not be flat and the pyramiding is quite substantial. This Turtle has not had enough Vitamin D and Calcium. I imagine this turtle was not allowed to hang out in the sunlight over the summer and must not have had a variety of vegetables.

I'm sorry if this seems harsh, but this Turtle really need to be given to an expert and seen by a Reptile Veterinarian. Please consider giving him to an expert and selling the tank and supplies separately.

I'm from Massachusetts and too far away, but I love Box turtles and needed to write.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
sibi, that is not a gulf coast box turtle I don't believe. The owner is right, that is a florida box turtle.

I emailed as well but haven't gotten a response yet.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
You guys are just out of control, aren't you. First of all, there's nothing in the picture I saw to indicate that that turtle is in poor health. The shell is a bit bumpy. It is not flat, it looks to me like a male. It sure seems to me, emailing and criticizing a stranger is just a bit unbalanced. If you're not buying, why are you interfering? It's crazy.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
yagyujubei said:
You guys are just out of control, aren't you. First of all, there's nothing in the picture I saw to indicate that that turtle is in poor health. The shell is a bit bumpy. It is not flat, it looks to me like a male. It sure seems to me, emailing and criticizing a stranger is just a bit unbalanced. If you're not buying, why are you interfering? It's crazy.

I respect your opinion. I just want the best life for this turtle. Pictures are not the best indicator, but I felt a Box turtle should have a more domed appearance to the shell. I had never seen pyramiding so pronounced on a box turtle and it shocked me.

I am much too far away to see this turtle, I wish I wasn't. I guess my concern got the best of me.

I just have one question:
How could you tell it was a male from the picture?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
All I did was e-mail about adopting the turtle. I didn't say anything other than that.....I wasn't critical at all!?? That's hardly unbalanced....

Also, while I said absolutely nothing about it in the e-mail I really don't think the habitat or living conditions are adequate. Do you?

CharlieM

10 Year Member!
So FL
yagyujubei said:
First of all, there's nothing in the picture I saw to indicate that that turtle is in poor health. The shell is a bit bumpy. It is not flat, it looks to me like a male.

I think this is the photo in question...

c97bc3b52fcda719f038538aec49222b_zps15290858.jpg

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
That photo is bad, but all together he looks bad to me. yagyujubei can call me all the names he wants. I just want whats best for the turtle.

I've never heard male box turtles being flatter than females. I'll have to look into it and educate myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.