Florida Herpetology, any dealing with them?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've narrowed my search down for my new female Red foot, to either a "rescue" down in Homestead Florida that seems to buy Craigslist tortoises and sell them for a profit and calls itself a not for profit....Or Florida Herpetology.
Florida Herpetology has been great with the customer service. I've kind of tested them by asking a LOT of dumb questions and they are very quick with kind responses.
I like them also because they are out of Miramar,a city not far from me. Although they do not offer local pick-up, it would be a short ride in an overnight box for my 1 or 2 new tortoises.
Thanks!

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Getting them from Craigslist and reselling them sounds like 'flipping tortoises' to me. Also saying they are a 'not for profit' but don't have the paperwork to prove it is questionable.

If you do go with them research their intake policies/procedures. When they get an animal from Craigslist do they take it to the vet for a check up? Do a fecal/worm? Take an x-ray to see if there is anything inside such as calcium stone? What do they do to verify health?

Based on my experience if you don't know the history of the animal you really don't know what you are buying. If this business doesn't invest in the minimum to verify if the animal is healthy before reselling it, in my opinion, they are not reputable.

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Why wouldn't a place let you pick up the tortoise? Why would they insist on shipping it? That just sounds strange to me. Seems like they would be thrilled with not having to ship a tortoise.