Florida sends its greetings

JSStra

Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
Clearly, I as one single resident speak for all of Florida when I say "Hello".

To be completely serious though, I am ecstatic to find this forum, as my fiancee and I are new to tortoise ownership, and we have been doing our own independent research for a few months now. Started with a leopard and looking forward to providing him/her a long and happy life, hopefully outliving both of us.

Thanks in advance for all of the expertise already on here and that yet to be shared.

JSStra

Central Florida
About 30 years in total.
There was a brief pause while I was renting a house.
So about as long as I've been alive. Well-played.

Not going to lie, I'm all concerned about this first night with the little one. Mind if I send you a DM with a...vendor specific question?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome to the Forum. Good luck with your Leopard. If you pretty much a) use common sense and b). Follow the care sheet here on TFO for taking care of Sullys & Leopards you should have no issues. You do have that great Florida weather (heat & humidity) to help you out.

Hopefully you purchased from a reputable dealer.

Good luck. Happy Torting

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
How many Radiated tortoises do you have?

Whenever I talk to someone from CA, TX, or FL, I always think to myself how funny it would be to ask this. These are always non-tortoise people, so they wouldn't get it.

You should think about getting a Radiated. You can't buy them in many states, but FL is the hotbed.

JSStra

Central Florida
Welcome to the Forum. Good luck with your Leopard. If you pretty much a) use common sense and b). Follow the care sheet here on TFO for taking care of Sullys & Leopards you should have no issues. You do have that great Florida weather (heat & humidity) to help you out.

Hopefully you purchased from a reputable dealer.

Good luck. Happy Torting
Unfortunately, I did not. TortoiseTown. Once my issue is resolved, I will post a vendor review to add in my two cents. So far, it is looking poor, but I have taken reasonable steps to protect myself as the consumer.

But thank you!

JSStra

Central Florida
How many Radiated tortoises do you have?

Whenever I talk to someone from CA, TX, or FL, I always think to myself how funny it would be to ask this. These are always non-tortoise people, so they wouldn't get it.

You should think about getting a Radiated. You can't buy them in many states, but FL is the hotbed.
I know very little about radiated tortoises, but my fiancee wants something that can grow as large as possible, but without...shelling....out a ton of money, as finances can be tricky. I thought Radiated were super expensive?

So we settled on trying to buy a South African. Cheaper than a radiated, and larger from what I have seen. Sulcata are great but can dig...which is kind of a deal breaker for our living situation right now.

Any feedback is welcome, though :)

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
I know very little about radiated tortoises, but my fiancee wants something that can grow as large as possible, but without...shelling....out a ton of money, as finances can be tricky. I thought Radiated were super expensive?

So we settled on trying to buy a South African. Cheaper than a radiated, and larger from what I have seen. Sulcata are great but can dig...which is kind of a deal breaker for our living situation right now.

Radiated are just very beautiful, from a color standpoint as well having a highly domed carapace. They are also said to have great personalities. They are on the higher end for tortoises, $1200-2000 depending on the bloodline--higher yellow tend to go for more money. People spend about that or more on a pure bred dog. Radiated are on the larger end (35 lbs at 16-18"), but not 300 lbs like an Aldabra or Galapagos. Ultimately though, you can get just about any species of tortoise you'd want in FL.

Oh yeah, they can also live to like 190:

The SA leopard should get big as well. Either way, you've found the right place for info on raising and caring for your current and future tortoises!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Welcome to the forum from a Former Floridian.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

I am a Sulcata keeper, lover and weirdo about Sulcata...I have never had one dig. I believe that if they are happy where they are why leave? They are fun, personable and smart and not as hard to keep as most other tortoises...Sulcata live in spite of bad treatment.and lack of care...I keep mine in a heated and insulated tort shed...
I keep them in the PNW...
100_0190.JPG100_6256.JPG

JSStra

Central Florida
I am a Sulcata keeper, lover and weirdo about Sulcata...I have never had one dig. I believe that if they are happy where they are why leave? They are fun, personable and smart and not as hard to keep as most other tortoises...Sulcata live in spite of bad treatment.and lack of care...I keep mine in a heated and insulated tort shed...
I keep them in the PNW...
View attachment 335692View attachment 335691
Oh wow, really? I have seen a lot of videos with keepers, like some done by Camp Kenan saying that they can be borrowers, and the herpetologist at Sanford Zoo. And they get big enough that getting them out can be tough. I am glad that might not be innate. Perhaps the herp told me that to dissuade me, he did seem to not like the idea of tortoises as pets...

Have you ever had your sulcatas indoors? We were hoping to have indoor/outdoor hybrid. Not quite with a "tortoise door", but definitely able to come and go as they please. Florida can be nice, but it might be too wet for desert tortoises? Definitely more of a question than a statement on that one.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum.