Florida sends its greetings

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Oh wow, really? I have seen a lot of videos with keepers, like some done by Camp Kenan saying that they can be borrowers, and the herpetologist at Sanford Zoo. And they get big enough that getting them out can be tough. I am glad that might not be innate. Perhaps the herp told me that to dissuade me, he did seem to not like the idea of tortoises as pets...

Have you ever had your sulcatas indoors? We were hoping to have indoor/outdoor hybrid. Not quite with a "tortoise door", but definitely able to come and go as they please. Florida can be nice, but it might be too wet for desert tortoises? Definitely more of a question than a statement on that one.
I live in Oregon where people don't tan they rust...it rains so much here that the rain doesn't stop anybody from working outside. However...an indoor outdoor Sulcata tortoise is only that way for 2 maybe 3 years...then they are simply too big to be kept inside...However...that being said...my second favorite tortoise would suit your needs to a 'T'
Redfoot...easy to feed...100_0290.JPG
So beautiful to look at...
100_0305.JPG
so so smart...
100_0343.JPG
I had more fun with this one little tortoise than any other......you really should dump the leopard idea, (boring, afraid, and yucky looking) and seriously consider a Redfoot...really...
and my most favorite photo of Houdini...
100_7869.JPG
As adults they are a handle-able size and I really think they are your solution...
you simply cannot refuse this cute face...
100_7868.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I too have a sulcata that doesn't burrow. He has an insulated, heated shed he retreats (so doesn't have a need to dig a burrow) and a very large yard to graze.