flowers, plants, and stuff:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Calif.
I was wondering if anyone here can help me out with a few plants and flowers. I am building a outdoor enclosure for warmer days, and i want to put more plants and stuff for shade. I was wondering if someone can post some common names of plants i can find at homedepot or something. I'm not to good with all the scientific names, so hoping to get a dumbed down version. Just a few would be great, i just plan to put a few in since i dont want to go to crazy. Right now its dirt, still working on it, but putting grass in it tomorrow, and hides. Anything would help.

Thanks

Kyle

Stazz

5 Year Member
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Petunia flower plants are very pretty and edible :) Tallula LOVES petunia's. I'm not sure what else, am sure there are loads and loads more :D

S

stells

Hosta's... Pansie's.. lavender... Rosemary... nastutiums... fuschia... Hollyhocks... Lavertera.. Hebe...

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
Nastrium leaves and flowers are ediable. I just planted my first seeds a month ago. HD & Lowes carry these seeds. I have also planted Pansies, also, both leaves and flowers are ediable, everyone carries these this time of year. Not so much for the enclosure, but I just planted a concord grape vine and my Hermanns loves the leaves. I also just bought Hibiscus, but these too are likely too big for my enclosure, so will be planted elsewhere in the yard. Its still a little early in NY for everyone to carry the Hibiscus, but I did find a nursary that had them.
From what I read, grape leaves are probably the best tort food of those listed above.

Kelly, I already have Hosta in my yard, are all varieties OK?

scottforensic

5 Year Member
if i buy some plants from the garden centre are they ok to feed to the tortoise straight away or will they have had pesticides sprayed on them

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Scott, you have to let plants you get at garden centers they need to set for 3 to 6 months to get all the pesticides and chemicals out of them, unless you buy from an organic garden center.

Kyle, here is a long list of plants that will work for you. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html
I like to put spider plants and daylilies for hides They seem to grow well and the torts love the dayliliy flowers. My greeks like to hide under the feather grass, and in the wandering Jew. Though they seem to eat down the Jew quickly and it is rather invasive. Also Alysum but it can get rather leggy if left alone though mine will eat when young plants. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.