Fluorescent light fixtures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
My ignorance is showing here, but oh well. I'm going to get a ReptiSun 5.0 tube fluorescent UV bulb for my tort. The enclosure is 47" long, so it'll be a 36" bulb. I was a little put off by the cost of specific reptile light fixtures for the bulb, so I figured I'd be smart and get a plain shop light for fluorescent bulbs from a home improvement store much cheaper. But all the fixtures I can find for fluorescent tube shop lights are for at least 2 bulbs. Can I run just one bulb on a shop light meant for 2? Even if it worked, would that be unsafe with electrically "active" sockets being unused?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
The only thing I can think of is to remove the wire connections for the unused sockets. This way there is no electricity being supplied. Though, I wonder if this will effect the functionality of the ballast? Anyone have any insight?

I did want to say I've thought of doing the exact same thing and ran into similar issues, so I went back to the darn over-priced Zoo Med fixture that I haven't been all that impressed with (I've had issues with these and have taken them apart and repaired them myself). If you do find a single-tube light for 36" tubes, let us know! The last thing I'll leave you with is to attach some sort of reflective backing to the shop light to increase UVB output. This website has some excellent results in support of this:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubes.htm

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Keep looking, they make the single fixtures. I bet loews or home depot would order you one. Also, do you think that the 5.0 is enough UV? I use 12% for my leopards.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The other option is to get two 18" bulbs/fixtures. You can get single fixtures at hardware stores for 18" and 24" but I could not find them for the 36". I ended up getting an 18" fixture on Amazon for about $15. You have to make sure they fit the Reptisun bulbs. This one does, and you can position it two different ways. It has an on/off switch. Paste this into the Amazon search box:
GE 16466 18-Inch 15-Watt Basic Fluorescent Light Fixture, White
Interestingly, they offer an option to buy this with the Reptisun bulb!

For the Reptisun 10.0 bulbs, check-
http://www.bigappleherp.com/TWO-PACK-Reptisun-10-0-18-Bulbs-17-49-Per-Bulb-Thats-30-OFF

I don't know if they have the Reptisun 5.0 on sale, but they are having a good discount on various sizes if you get two of the Reptisun 10.0 fixtures. (they also have the single fluorescent light fixtures, but I still went with Amazon prime for that).

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Single lamp fluorescents are sold at Lowe's and Home Depot. Worse case scenario if you can't find a single lamp fixture is to put a daylight or full spectrum lamp in a double fixture. A single 24" would be sufficient too. Any size longer and there won't really be as adequate light coverage.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
yeah, our Lowe's and Home Depot has single fluorescent tube light fixtures but they were picked over and kind of expensive. The Amazon price was better than most I found.

(remember, the only fluorescent bulb we would recommend are the tube lights, not any of the coil bulbs, in case anyone was wondering...:p)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Just to make SURE I understand correctly (...because I'm a "dim bulb" when it comes to technology :p), if i get a 2 bulb fixture, I can put in ONE UV fluorescent bulb and ONE "daylight" or "full spectrum" bulb in it and things should work OK?

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
Moozilion said:
Just to make SURE I understand correctly (...because I'm a "dim bulb" when it comes to technology :p), if i get a 2 bulb fixture, I can put in ONE UV fluorescent bulb and ONE "daylight" or "full spectrum" bulb in it and things should work OK?

Should be just fine, and you'll have everything covered. (Except Heat).:cool:

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Moozilion said:

This is what I do and it works great! I noticed a significant increase in my tortoises activity level and appetite when I used both a UVB florescent and a full spectrum bulb as apposed to just using the UVB bulb.

I say the more "good lighting" you can provide the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.