1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Fluorescent tube light bulb help needed

Discussion in 'Site Help and Feedback' started by Lalaruth, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Lalaruth

Lalaruth New Member

I am trying to light up a small room to provide uv light for my tortoises I want to buy long tubd style shop lights , fluorescent . Which should I buy ? I read somewhere that a T8 type works and what wattage is needed ? Or am I wrong? Please I would like some info. Does it need to be in a certain height? From the tortoise , they are 4-5 year olds.... View attachment 251230
  2. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Southern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Your picture didn't attach.

The conventional T-8 10.0 type bulbs do not give off much UV and they must be mounted no more than 10-12 inches from the tortoise to have any UV benefit at all. The newer HO types from ZooMed or from Arcadia are much better and will work well at more practical distances. Talk to this guy. He will give you good advice and sell you the right stuff for your application: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com
    Lalaruth likes this.
  3. Will

Will Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    If you use Face Book find 'reptile lighting' it is moderated by the author of most of the published research on the topic and she writes so that even Tom can understand it i.e. not too science-y. :p
    Maro2Bear, Tom and Lalaruth like this.
  4. Tom

Tom The Dog Trainer 5 Year Member

Southern California
    AND Frances is a terrific human being too.
    Lalaruth and Will like this.