Fluorite as substrate?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
Has anybody ever used Fluorite for substrate in a turtle tank? I’m trying to find ways to add more plants to a 40 gal breeder tank that has 3.5 inches of water.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Kind of sparkly for a gravel substitute?
The fluorite is a medium for growing aquatic plants. I have read that it’s SAFE in a turtle aquarium, but I would like to hear feedback from people who’ve actually tried it.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I wish you the best of luck!
Thanks- not sure I'm going to try it just yet- still researching. I strongly suspect that no matter what substrate I plant live plants into, Miss Millie will be a one-woman demolition crew and dig it all up! She already rearranges the rocks in her tank, so plants in the soil may not be the best idea! ?

jeneliza

burton michigan
One thing I should point out, florite, is like most natural crystals in has a natural way of carrying energy, close to what the crystals in watch, or the crystals caves in Mexico, some small animals are very sensitive to the energy in these crystals, and it may cause good or bad reaction, it depends on the animal, and some don't notice it,

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Oops- I’ve misspelled it.
The product I’m referring to is Seachem Flourite: small clay balls used as substrate for growing aquatic plants.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
On amazon I see nothing too negative other than you have to wash it very thoroughly when you get it before you set it in the tank-think chickpeas! Hope I helped don't forget photos of your project

L

LasTortugasNinja

A friend of mine who used to professionally set up aquariums and ponds for businesses & dr. offices use to protect live plants from destructive characters by layering the plant substrate at the bottom, then a layer of strong plastic waterproof mesh - like mosquito netting (pulling the plants through holes cut into the mesh), then a layer of whatever decorative substrate or pebbles. The mesh stopped burrowers like gobies or turtles from damaging the plant roots, or muddying the waters too much during tank cleanings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Ooh Tortuga that reminds me Moozillion you have to check out the Pond Professor on Youtube. He set up a tub for baby turtles and used some slick stuff that youy will never see to set up the rest you do see

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
On amazon I see nothing too negative other than you have to wash it very thoroughly when you get it before you set it in the tank-think chickpeas! Hope I helped don't forget photos of your project
I haven't decided yet if I'm going to use it. I currently have a pothos stuck to the wall of the tank in a small shower caddy, and a peace lily in a ceramic luminary that's set down in the tank. Both plants have their roots in the water but their leaves above water. It is definitely a work in progress.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
A friend of mine who used to professionally set up aquariums and ponds for businesses & dr. offices use to protect live plants from destructive characters by layering the plant substrate at the bottom, then a layer of strong plastic waterproof mesh - like mosquito netting (pulling the plants through holes cut into the mesh), then a layer of whatever decorative substrate or pebbles. The mesh stopped burrowers like gobies or turtles from damaging the plant roots, or muddying the waters too much during tank cleanings.
GREAT!!! THANKS!!! :) ?:<3: