"foam" and "oil" on water surface for turtle tank ?

Geochelone_Carbonaria

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern part of Sweden
Hi guys,
as I'm only into Redfoot Tortoises, I know nothing about turtles...
But there is a guy here in Sweden on a Swedish forum, that has asked a strange question about a turtle tank;
all of a sudden, the surface of the water has started to get "oily" and full of foam (bubbles), and he is asking if anyone else has experienced this ?
He also says thet he is feeding his turtles outside of the tank...
And I just thought it was a strange question, and since he's not getting any answers, I'm just curious if any of you experienced turtle owners have any idea what this can be ?
Thanks
/Mike

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
I don't k ow squat about aquatic turtles but I'm sure you can get some answers here. See if you can get him to give you specifics and pictures of the set up. Filter type, lights and so on.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
That's happened in my fish tank before, so i'd be interested to know the answer. I've ALWAYS had terrible issues with cycling and high ammonia so I'd say Mike probably is on to something there.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A buddy of mine uses a protein skimmer on his turtle tank. It's always FULL of stinky foam. I think the above answers are correct. Maybe suggest he look into purchasing a small protein skimmer like the ones used in salt water fish tanks.

Blkjkoknhrt

Yep, high levels of partly digested proteins, and resulting ammonia causing oily film, foam and bubbles. Pare down the diet of fatty fish/meat/processed foods, sterilize everything, and cut down on Quantity, they're pooping undigested food... You get the same thing in poorly filtered freshwater tanks holding predatory fish like piranha or snakeheads.

Remember, turtles may catch a (ONE) fish a day if he's lucky, or maybe a worm and a snail. But aquatic turtles are notoriously gluttonous feeders - so BEWARE!
PaulD

jmaneyapanda

5 Year Member
Oils and formate not caused by ammonia. Ammonia is biological byproduct, but oily film and foam are caused by overloading organics. The organics have a long fatty acid chain which collects at the interface or air and water. Using carbon or doing significant water changes or ozone will help this.

Source- I'm an aquarium biologist and work extensively in life support systems.