Fogger hide for all tortoises?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I've said this a lot in the past. And it's still true....
There are many complicated ways of raising humidity for a tortoise.
Many ways to spend money and add grief.
Or, you can just modify your enclosure into a closed chamber.
I wouldn't waste my time or money on a humidifier

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
U got to do what u have to do when ur in the uk

Javk

CA (Bay Area)
I agree. These gadgets are mainly marketing ploys used to earn more money for companies. They are much more expensive to maintain than simply spraying down your enclosure and the tortoise does not necessarily "enjoy" it more.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
There is a fundamental difference between the gaseous state of water (water vapour) and fog (droplets of liquid water floating in air) Water vapour content in a volume of air is measured by humidity, Fog is not a measure of humidity except that it usually only occurs near 100% humidity, using a humidifier or fogger in the torts shelter means that the tort is inhaling small droplets of liquid water that can introduce excess moisture, bacteria and other contaminants into the lungs, unlike water vapour that is inhaled and exhaled normally. The fogger only increases humidity in the shelter by virtue of its direct evaporation into the air, and by settling on surfaces and then evaporating off of them, so its just as simple to add water to the substrate and avoid your tort aspirating small amounts of liquid water.

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
In Chris Leone's Egyptian tortoise enclosure video he builds a "fogger hide". I'm wondering if this setup would be good for all tortoises? If not, why?

Love just like mine and my tortoise is Beautiful lovely shell

ShirleyTX

Canyon Lake TX USA

What Chris created was a humid hide using an aquarium fogger that costs about $15 plus a plastic box or piece of plexi. I don't think this is necessarily good for all tortoises as many need higher humdity all the time. For the Egyptian tortoise who moves between microclimates all day (native to coastal region), it allows the tort to choose the microclimate themselves. The little fogger area is VERY high humidity, like the morning fog from the ocean. Then of course you mist most of the rest of the enclosure sufficient to moisten the lower layer of substrate while the top layer dries out.

Quixx66

Louisiana
It doesn't matter where in the world you are. A closed chamber makes maintaining heat and humidity easy anywhere in the world. And humidifiers shouldn't be used anywhere in the world.
Do you have any brands of enclosures to check out? Right now, I’m just keeping the coir damp. I probably can’t afford an enclosure as I’m saving money to move into my own place again.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Do you have any brands of enclosures to check out? Right now, I’m just keeping the coir damp. I probably can’t afford an enclosure as I’m saving money to move into my own place again.
You can make your own, buy one from @Markw84 or order one from Animal Plastics and wait 6-8 months for it.

Wolfen

5 Year Member
Los Angeles
I hooked up a mister to my night box which is powered by the smart sprinkler controller I have for the lawn.

I spent less than $20

It mists about for 30 seconds every 5 hours

SKOLsuper

5 Year Member
Essex
I hooked up a mister to my night box which is powered by the smart sprinkler controller I have for the lawn.

I spent less than $20

It mists about for 30 seconds every 5 hours
Yes mine goes of every 30 min and he ❤️ It