Follow-up.. " I need ID's ".. by Hustler

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
To follow up: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-83705.html

... and show a few color / pattern "integrates" that have occured over the years.. both naturally and "man-made(?).

Small 3" Black Northern(?)



He has a hint of moustache -



When I turned him over to show the plastron pattern I discovered something I've never seen in a juvenile ever before -



[ First I'll dry-dock him and rinse well with a betadine solution and then apply a fungus cream [ athlete's foot ].. all the while in a dry tub with paper towel on bottom - he won't like it! ]

Note the pattern on the plastron.

Next is a 3" probable female(?) [ a couple tiny split-scutes ] that is a pretty "blonde" -



And the almost patternless plastron typical of Northerns -



She didn't want a photo-shoot today so here's from a few weeks ago of them both -



Chesapeake "Blues" coming soon... etc.!
 

Hustler

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
383
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
Awesome terry,I cant believe how many variations there are even between sub species!!!
 

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
This big male was literally taken out of the Chesapeake Bay by a ?? and kept in FRESH water and fed ???? My friend rescued him and brought him back from - skin-falling off - death and actually got him to eat shrimp pellets.. and then sent these to me!

He is a huge 5 1/2" rescued WC. DO NOT TAKE A TERRAPIN FROM THE WILD.. YOU DO NOT NEED THE GRIEF AND HEARTACHE!!!

Mel.. My friend is a "reef-guy" too.. and it still took him about 4 months to rescue this guy - all that "filter, etc." stuff -





Notice the "no-pattern" carapace colors!

Different [ integrate? ] plastron pattern -



Here come the "Blues"... this is really going to mess it up Mel!
 

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
The "Blue" male.. 4 1/2".. [ supposedly from Chesapeake Bay stock ] -



Has that "Concentric" look doesn't he? -



And the 'hairpin' plastron pattern -



White Concentric male.. 4" -





Hairpin plastron -



Is the "Blue" really blue???





Wonder what these "Bay" Terrapins looked like 50 years ago???

The Female "Blue" is gonna mess it all up...................


She's a little over 5" and a beauty -





Here ya are - what happened to HER plastron? -



With her "Blue mate" [ the flash always washes out the colors ] -

 

Hustler

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
383
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
Absoluty fantastic terry!!!! I will have to email you some questions for sure.
No need to worry about WC anything up here....
Seeing your guys stock on the forums is a bit like watching american cable TV up here....another planet for sure!
With the months in jail and 50K fines guys are getting for smuggling turtles and torts across the boarder to break a few hundred over market value VS down there its very very rarely a problem.
 

tortoise5643

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2013
Messages
460
How much do these guys cost? How bug of a tank would a pair need? Is husbandry difficult?
 

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
tortoise5643 said:
How much do these guys cost? How bug of a tank would a pair need? Is husbandry difficult?

See this caresheet [ in my signature ] - http://www.turtletary.com/specials.htm

They cost anywhere from $60-$70 for Northerns to $300 or more for adult Concentrics.. similar to the white one.

This is a $95-$100 Terrapin - a 2013 hatchling





I have one adult pair in a 100 gal stock tank you can see in the link above.
 

tortoise5643

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2013
Messages
460
Re: RE: Follow-up.. " I need ID's ".. by Hustler

Redfoot NERD said:
tortoise5643 said:
How much do these guys cost? How bug of a tank would a pair need? Is husbandry difficult?

See this caresheet [ in my signature ] - http://www.turtletary.com/specials.htm

They cost anywhere from $60-$70 for Northerns to $300 or more for adult Concentrics.. similar to the white one.

This is a $95-$100 Terrapin - a 2013 hatchling





I have one adult pair in a 100 gal stock tank you can see in the link above.

Could a pair live in a 75 gallon tank with a turtle topper or something of the sort? Or is that just too much of a stretch?
 

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
I called her "Bonnie" [ integrate ] -



She had a dark almost patternless carapace -





Her mate Clive -





His plastron -



"Bonnie & Clive" the 2 black - ( isn't that pitiful? ) -



I found Clive [ actually my maternal grandfather.. but the name fit ].. in hopes of creating "black concentrics"...
 

Diamondbacks4Life

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2013
Messages
154
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Due to terrapins farms dumping their stock into bays when things went bad so long ago they really messed up genes of Northern and Carolina populations.That most likely why both species have the widest selection of coloring/ pattern of all dbt species.

You pretty much just have to go with match up like colored dbts and see what yea get. Unless you know exactly where the dbt came from with Northern and Carolina species. Its pretty much impossible say what it is. Ive seen it many times pure white exceptional concentric Dbts produce the blackest of dbts or just produce patterns and coloring that leaves yourself asking where did that come from. Then ya got Concentric which is just supposed to be the color term used strictly for Carolinas but pretty much now everyone just calls that with a pretty dbt with the right patterns. So people are being sold Northerns as Carolinas. Its a mess! So pretty all the turtles posted could be pure Northern or Carolinas but most likely they got genes of who knows what passed down from generation to generation giving some ? Id would also like to go back in time before humans made a mess of things. Answer did Northerns and Carolinas have uniform coloring? Not the variety we have now.
 

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Diamondbacks4Life said:
Due to terrapins farms dumping their stock into bays when things went bad so long ago they really messed up genes of Northern and Carolina populations.That most likely why both species have the widest selection of coloring/ pattern of all dbt species.

You pretty much just have to go with match up like colored dbts and see what yea get. Unless you know exactly where the dbt came from with Northern and Carolina species. Its pretty much impossible say what it is. Ive seen it many times pure white exceptional concentric Dbts produce the blackest of dbts or just produce patterns and coloring that leaves yourself asking where did that come from. Then ya got Concentric which is just supposed to be the color term used strictly for Carolinas but pretty much now everyone just calls that with a pretty dbt with the right patterns. So people are being sold Northerns as Carolinas. Its a mess! So pretty all the turtles posted could be pure Northern or Carolinas but most likely they got genes of who knows what passed down from generation to generation giving some ? Id would also like to go back in time before humans made a mess of things. Answer did Northerns and Carolinas have uniform coloring? Not the variety we have now.

That's basically what was said in my reply in Hustler's thread!

One female found on the causeway from Brunswick, GA. to Jekyll Island -

http://www.exploregeorgia.org/city/jekyll-island

- produced 6 hatchlings with 4 distinct colors / patterns!
 

Diamondbacks4Life

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2013
Messages
154
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Well its pretty much what draws me to dbts. Compared to other turtle species. Each one is like a unique painting. They can be so different. I love it.

When you have eggs what hatches from it really is mystery what can come out of it.
 

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Diamondbacks4Life said:
Well its pretty much what draws me to dbts. Compared to other turtle species. Each one is like a unique painting. They can be so different. I love it.

When you have eggs what hatches from it really is mystery what can come out of it.

Amen.. Bro! Depending on the different colors/patterns of the individual males - I see distinct images from each of the males - [ in other words ] "those stripes.. or that color, etc. comes from that one or this one".
 

Hustler

New Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2011
Messages
383
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
This is so fantastic! Ive decided just from this post alone to go with a few ponds and split up my group rather than try to keep the whole clan together. I was going to put them in a massive pond with multiple nesting sites once i was more familiar with them and there pecking orders but I think a more controlled approach of the males and color patterns will add so much more to this project!
I cant thank you enough for your time bro
 

Redfoot NERD

Well-Known Member
10 Year Member!
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
3,662
Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Hustler said:
This is so fantastic! Ive decided just from this post alone to go with a few ponds and split up my group rather than try to keep the whole clan together. I was going to put them in a massive pond with multiple nesting sites once i was more familiar with them and there pecking orders but I think a more controlled approach of the males and color patterns will add so much more to this project!
I cant thank you enough for your time bro

Given the space.. that's definitely what I would do for sure.

After looking thru the past email pics, etc. I found this info on this/your? 'cross' -







It is Concentric X Ornate .. so yes I would keep them separate!


Some years back I was "re-introduced" to Terrapins and was given this handsome male Texan -





You can see those "knobs" on his carapace.

And the different color phases of yearlings:

"Regular" -



"Dark" -



"Light" -





Over to Southern Florida next.. last but not least.......
 

New Posts

Top