Follow up on my "Concern over change in Poop" post - Russian was caught nesting this morning

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
Good morning all,

The tort I was posting about in the concern over change in poop post from June 5 was caught this morning nesting. I literally just found out she is female from that post after having her for years. I am now concerned that this is all related and hoping she is not gravid. The 2 changes I have noticed are that her turds are tiny bits now not the big formed ones she had previously, this has been happening for about a month. She does poop daily. The other concerning thing is that she had lost weight as my previous post stated, about 200 grams over a month or so, she currently weighs 882 grams. If I had to guess she's roughly 8 inches long. Her appetite and activity level have been completely normal. She is housed indoors in a large open tort table on cypress mulch, temps are 85-90F basking area, and 78 on the cool side. When I went in to feed her she was basking as usual, then as I was packing up to leave she started kicking around her back legs. She stopped went over to eat then I left. My husband just checked on her and she is in the corner doing it again. We will add additional substrate tonight which also will require us to raise the side of her enclosure so she can't get out. Based off of what I have researched on this forum she doesn't sound gravid but I am freaking out non the less. I am also out of town for an overnight trip this weekend and am trying to gauge how serious this may be at this point. I have read that they can try to nest weeks/months prior to dropping eggs, is this the start? I'd really appreciate any advice or guidance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Most Russian tortoises don't like to be put into a bowl of water, but tough! Set her in a bowl she can't climb out of and add enough warm water to come up to the middle of her sides. Just leave her in there to scramble around trying to get out. It's the scrambling that causes the poop to come out. A half hour or more isn't too long. this should clean her out and then you'll know for sure if its eggs or she was just backed up.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Most Russian tortoises don't like to be put into a bowl of water, but tough! Set her in a bowl she can't climb out of and add enough warm water to come up to the middle of her sides. Just leave her in there to scramble around trying to get out. It's the scrambling that causes the poop to come out. A half hour or more isn't too long. this should clean her out and then you'll know for sure if its eggs or she was just backed up.
Thanks Yvonne, she's soaked twice a week and pooped a decent amount for me on Tuesday, I'll soak again tonight to see if that gets anything else moving. This is the first I am seeing of the nesting "dance", will they do that if constipated? Other then that she has no other symptoms of bring gravid. Appreciate the response.

Sleppo

5 Year Member
Philadelphia, PA
Is she kept with any other tortoises? A male?

How deep is her substrate?

No not at all, she has been in my care for the last 3 years. These eggs would 100% be infertile. If I had to guess substrate is about 4 inches deep now, and is sprayed every other day to retain a little moisture. Thanks for replying.