Food and water dishes

Loribwp

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Last year we switched to using a rubber feed bowl for outside water dish. Our Sulcata is around 60lbs and has destroyed all terracotta, plastic and metal dishes by just cruising around. Nothing is the right size. Need a more flat dish for food that he can't break. Any suggestions of where to find something?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How about a cake pan?
Also take a look at a tractor supply store or other feed type store and see what they have available for horses, chickens etc.

Loribwp

5 Year Member
Ohio
Hadn't thought of a cake pan. It's nice that its rectangular. But he did bend and break a round metal pan used to feed chickens.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I dont understand how hes crushing metal pans? Metal is metal.. it takes a lot to crush

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hadn't thought of a cake pan. It's nice that its rectangular. But he did bend and break a round metal pan used to feed chickens.
Maybe a roasting pan. They are stronger then a cake pan. Same shape but usually bigger and little higher sides
A heavy duty sheet cake pan would work good for the food. Not much of a side to squash. Wouldnt work for water though.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
What about a plastic tray like they use in cafeterias or fast food places? I just started using one when we feed pellets.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use pizza dough trays from a pizza place. Heavy duty, rectangular, and about 3 inches deep. I've never had one break under a large sulcata. I too have lost lots of metal and plastic water pans over the years. I never had a terra cotta one break, but never found one large enough to use with giants either.

images.jpeg

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
I don’t know if this is recommended by the long timers or not (we’ve only been doing this for a few months), but I have used flat, oversized paving stones as a platform for food. Seems to be easier for my Sulcata to reach and get his food without needing to step over a ledge. Everything we tried with a ledge would get stepped on and dumped over—the bowls and trays with ledges would flip over on our Sulcata. This seems to keep everything flat, he can walk all over it and it doesn’t hurt him. He knows when there is food to eat it, and the food stays clean enough.

SallyALP

Chandler AZ
Last year we switched to using a rubber feed bowl for outside water dish. Our Sulcata is around 60lbs and has destroyed all terracotta, plastic and metal dishes by just cruising around. Nothing is the right size. Need a more flat dish for food that he can't break. Any suggestions of where to find something?
I use a plastic saucer sled. Easy to romp and clean. Available on Amazon. They’re big enough for the tort to bathe in

tortlvr

Today is my birthday!
San Diego Ca
I use those Rubbermaid boot/shoe trays at Walmart found in the outdoor foot mat section. At less than $5 it's a great deal. I also used them inside the night house when the torts were smaller.

Loribwp

5 Year Member
Ohio
The dishes were getting broken inside the indoor pin, the shed, when he'd catch them with the edge of his shell while cruising parimeter. We'd feed him and leave the dish in the pin. The dish would get pinched betwn him and the wall and then he'd step on them. Lots of good ideas for the food dish when it's outside where there's room. Thanks!